Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Stuck mash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Stuck mash Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I used my new Blichmann G1 20gal kettle with their false bottom for the first time yesterday after rebuilding my brewery. Not sure if this matters but I have new Chugger pumps with the center bore inlet fitted with a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer.

A simple pale ale, 76% 2 row, 19% vienna, 5% C20. I crushed at .045 and I mashed thin at 2qt/pound. I noticed about 15 min into the mash the fluid in the MT sight glass starting to decrease. The outflow from the return hose to the MT was just a trickle. I stopped recirculation and moved output connection from HLT return valve to the MT main valve to clear the dip tube of any possible grain clog. Hooked up hoses back to what they should be and the mash recirculation flowed full bore for about 5 min then slowed to a trickle again.

I flushed the MT dip tube as before 3 more times during the mash.

After the 3rd additional time and a few choice words, I got my mash paddle and proceeded to stir the grist. The majority of the grain had migrated to just above the dip tube. I redistributed the grain and by that time 75 min had past I decided to move forward with mash out. I raised the temperature of the HLT and start recirculation once again. Low and behold it flowed full bore for the entire MT ramp up period.

Unclear to me why I had a stuck mash.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. Are you sure you milled at 0.045"? Some mills can come loose and you're milling differently than you think (though it's usually a looser mill, not tighter).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have checked all hoses and connection for minor leaks.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Weird. Are you sure you milled at 0.045"? Some mills can come loose and you're milling differently than you think (though it's usually a looser mill, not tighter).

Kal

I think so. I used my feeler gauge (.014+.015+.016) to set the gap before I milled and used pliers to snug the set screws to lock in the gap. I didn't crank on them but I can't loosen them with just my fingers either.

One anomaly I remember that may be the culprit. When I checked the outflow of the tubing coiled in the MT it had sunk to the bottom. When doing the ramp up to mash out I remember seeing the tubing on the surface and I could easily check the outflow strength by looking in the kettle without raising the tubing up from below the surface.

Perhaps being submerged, the initial strong outflow pushed the grain towards the dip tub. However, given the design of the Blichmann false bottom I wouldn't think that wouldn't matter. Wouldn't the flow from the less covered portion of the false bottom compensate for the collection of grain in a different location?

I plan to brew this coming weekend. My only change will be to ensure the discharge tubing stays on the surface of the MT.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee wrote:
I assume you have checked all hoses and connection for minor leaks.

Yes I did but always a good thing to check. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
However, given the design of the Blichmann false bottom I wouldn't think that wouldn't matter.

I don't think it would either.

Take a few pictures of your crush next time you brew.

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

I think so. I used my feeler gauge (.014+.015+.016) to set the gap before I milled and used pliers to snug the set screws to lock in the gap. I didn't crank on them but I can't loosen them with just my fingers either.

One anomaly I remember that may be the culprit. When I checked the outflow of the tubing coiled in the MT it had sunk to the bottom. When doing the ramp up to mash out I remember seeing the tubing on the surface and I could easily check the outflow strength by looking in the kettle without raising the tubing up from below the surface.

Perhaps being submerged, the initial strong outflow pushed the grain towards the dip tub. However, given the design of the Blichmann false bottom I wouldn't think that wouldn't matter. Wouldn't the flow from the less covered portion of the false bottom compensate for the collection of grain in a different location?

I plan to brew this coming weekend. My only change will be to ensure the discharge tubing stays on the surface of the MT.

You might have nailed it! If your return tube was returning the smaller grain and particles to the bottom of the grain bed then it never had a chance to stay on top of the natural filter grain bed!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced more than once the Blickmann plugging up even with the false bottom. may be because how close the tube is to the actual bottom of the tank. I have thought I might turn it a bit to one side after each episode, but forget to at the next session.

Most of the time it appears at the very beginning of the process for me. With my setup, I just backflush HLT water through the spigot a few blasts and then everything is fine.

I have a 2 pump setup where I dont have to unhook any hoses (that was when I made the biggest messes before). Its hard to explain, I have a "T" valve that I put on the HLT pump so I can inject HLT water for sparging through the HERMS coil or accept the Wart from the MT pushed by that chugger pump. If I turn off the MT chugger pump, and open a few blasts of the HLT pumped water, it will unplug the spigot and allow the liquid to flow freely. Then I just shut off the HLT water and turn on the MT pump and start the circulation flow as desired.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkroeker wrote:
I have experienced more than once the Blickmann plugging up even with the false bottom.

What is your mill gap set to?

Kal

kkroeker

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I honestly don't know right off hand what is it now, It has been set for quite a while and I haven't checked it recently. I know I set it initially for .039
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to go a bit looser if you're having issues, like around 0.045" or even 0.050". Good luck!

Kal

rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my 2nd brew using the Blichmann 20 gal G1 with their false bottom. I made Kal's Irish Red Ale. I did not have a stuck mash Smile

I did 2 things differently:

1) Mash return tubing coils around circumference of the kettle and about 3" past the Blichmann dial thermometer. I draped the tubing over the thermometer probe so it would not sink to the bottom of the kettle.

2) I put a SS worm clamp on the dip tube locking down the washer against the false bottom. I was wondering if I stirred the mash too vigerously the last brew and flipped the washer up exposing the slot and allowing grain to get below the false bottom.

Other than warm ground water and having to wait to pitch the yeast, all went very well.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
2) I put a SS worm clamp on the dip tube locking down the washer against the false bottom. I was wondering if I stirred the mash too vigerously the last brew and flipped the washer up exposing the slot and allowing grain to get below the false bottom.

I think that would be next to impossible to do. Try this test: Put some water in the MLT to a few inches above the dip tube and then try to flip up the washer by stirring with the mash paddle. Then try lifting it up with the mash paddle. I think it would be very hard to do.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can add rice hulls I do and it helps also don't scrape the bottom when stirring, when doing so your just driving grain into the cracks clogging the false bottom up
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I scrape the bottom of my Blichmann false bottom with my stainless mash paddle (it was the swirls and scratches from ~7 years of me doing it) and I've never had a stuck mash. I also don't use rice hulls anymore even with beers composed of up to 60% wheat (huskless). I had forgotten to add the rice hulls one day when brewing a weizen and didn't notice the bowl full of rice hulls until after the brew day was done and I had cleaned up as I had it in another room... Wink (So haven't used them since)

Kal

tae

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem the other day when I did my first batch on the new system. I use 20 Gallon kettles and 2 chugger pumps. My recipe was a 16 gallon (into fermenter) Blue Moon Clone which had roughly 40 wheat malt plus oats. I found that the flow in my MT was very slow and I had problems raising the temp to the chosen mash temp, so i reversed and pumped backwards through the dip tube through the valve. That did it for a short while. I had to repeat 3-4 times. After 30-40 mins I had a decent flow but NOT impressive. I'm still wondering what went wrong? I know wheat can mess things up, but had my hopes high with my brand new Blichmann false bottom. Got 75% efficiency out of it. What should i do different next time?

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tae wrote:
Blue Moon Clone which had roughly 40 wheat malt plus oats. What should i do different next time?

Does that mean 40% of the grist was wheat plus oats?
What was your mill to set? See above for recommendations.
If you can't figure out what may be the cause, using rice hulls is cheap insurance.
More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/grain-mill?page=3

Kal

tae

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe was roughly 50 % Pale Malt, 40 Wheat Malt and 10 % Oats. Mill gap is set at 0.045”. I was thinking about the Rice, but since I read that you never used them I decided to give it a try. I never used them either on my previous setup. Do you run the oats through the mill? I have always done it that way.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaked oats like this?: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/flaked-oats

Flaked oats (or barley) does not need to be milled as it has already been rolled flat and toasted. Add it to the mash as is.

Kal

tae

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly....
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: