Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

2 x 1500 watt 120 v elements enough for 10 gallon batches

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yevmeister

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: 2 x 1500 watt 120 v elements enough for 10 gallon batches Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I looked all over.

Kal, thank you for the "electric-heat.xls" calculator i stumbled upon.

so i would like to get confirmation before setting myself to disappointment.

i have obtained a keggle and i dont have access to 220 v but i have 2 GFCI kitchen circuits to run 2 elements in the kettle

According to the spreadsheet

1. step heat up mash water 7.5 gallon to 170 degree range strike water ~ 40 minutes
2. once water is in the mash prep the sparge water water 8 gallon ~43 minutes

after spargin i plan to collect 12.5 gallons of wort

3. according to calculator heating 12.5 gallons from 154 - 212 ~35 minutes

i am okay with the wait.

I am concerned that 2 1500 watt 120v elements would be enough to get 12.5 gallons to rolling boil?

Thanks,

Yev
BBBF

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any 120v/20 amp outlets? I run two 2000w elements and have no problems doing 10 gallon batches.
Yevmeister

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was what I have been finding a lot .
Any recommendations on 2000 watt 120 volt ultra or low density watt elements ?

Thanks Yev
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether 3000W is enough is dependent on kettle configuration, use of insulation (or not), ambient temperature, use of a kettle chimney, etc. There's no black and white answer. It also depends on how you define "rolling boil".

It's less than I'd recommend with 12.5 gallons but it may be enough to get at least a "reasonable" boil once you get there. It'll take you longer to get to boil however.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
BBBF

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yevmeister wrote:
Yeah that was what I have been finding a lot .
Any recommendations on 2000 watt 120 volt ultra or low density watt elements ?

Thanks Yev

There are some newer ones one the market with stainless steel bases. The ones I have work fine, but I would give them a shot.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use 240V elements at 120V to give you 1/4 the power output. So a 5500W element will give you 1375W.
The ultra-low-watt-density also becomes extremely low watt density since it's 1/4 the power output.
Using 240V elements also means you can re-use them if ever you upgrade to a control panel setup (240V).

Stainless base (bare) heating elements are available here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/stainless-steel-heating-elements
Or in kit form or assembled here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-element-kits

Cheers,

Kal

jra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of off topic, but sort of not. I'm looking to build a HLT, but I might want to use it for different applications. How hot will a 5500w element at 240V get 15 gallons of water?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jra wrote:
How hot will a 5500w element at 240V get 15 gallons of water?

To boiling. Any element will bring water (or wort) to boiling, the only question is how long it takes to get there and how vigorous the boil will be. There are online calculators available that you can plug numbers into to see what sort of power you would require to heat in the amount of time you deem acceptable. Here are a few examples:

http://www.brewheads.com/powerrequired.php
http://www.brewheads.com/rise.php

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: