Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

cfci replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beorn12

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: cfci replacement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hello guys, i'm looking to replace my gfci cable for a gfci panel breaker. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a 40A GFCI vs the 30A GFCI that's shown in the build.

thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your breakers exist to protect the wire in the walls so your breaker must be sized for the wiring that is in your walls. You cannot use a larger breaker size as it is unsafe. You may use a smaller breaker size however.

For example, if the wire in your walls is rated to 30A, you *must* use a 30A breaker. Using a 40A should not be done as the wiring may be overloaded and overheat, presenting a fire hazard.

The reverse is not true however. If the wire in the walls is rated to 40A, you may use a 30A breaker. That is fine.

If you have any doubts as to what sort of breaker to use for the specific wiring in your walls, speak to your electrician.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
beorn12

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean the main circuit breaker. That one is fine, 40A with the appropriate wiring. What I want to do is install a panel-mounted GFCI that protects the entire brewery room, instead of just the GFI cable that I have right now for just the box. For some reason, at my local supplier, the 30A Siemens GFCI is on back order, but they do have the 40A model available. My question is if I can use the 40A model o wait for the 30A one.
Thanks,
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without an electrical drawing of what you plan on doing exactly, I'm not sure anyone has enough information to answer. That said, the same principles that I wrote above likely apply: You can't use a 40A breaker with 30A wiring as it can't protect the wiring from overcurrent. If you plan on using 30A wiring, you can't use a 40A breaker upstream.

I'm assuming this is a change you're wanting to make to the permanent electrical system in your building and you want to do this yourself, correct? Not to sound like a nay-sayer, but if you're not sure if something can or cannot be done as part of these electrical renovations, you should not be attempting this yourself. There are likely many other rules or safety issues you may overlook and not realize you should be asking about (someone doesn't know what they don't know). Best to hire an electrician. He/she will be able to choose the right size for you and choose something that will follow electrical code in your region, as well as offer other suggestions possibly on how to safely and properly wire your brewery room. For example, I'm not sure if the feed breaker into a panel is allowed to be a GFI breaker at all in your region. Something to consider. In the USA there locations in the NEC that require the GFCI protection at the branch circuit level [680.23(A)(3) for example] so just be aware of the limitations as laid out within the electrical code of your region.

With that in mind, it's important to remember that electrical code varies by country and region: You're asking on a forum frequented by people from all around the world for suggestions on how to wire something in what I assume is Mexico (based on your profile), a region they may or may not be familiar with as far as electrical code is concerned not to mention they have no idea what sort of devices you may be installing (code varies based on the device type as well). This is definitely one of those cases you want to hire an electrician as they will ask all the right questions.

Good luck and brew safe!

Kal

beorn12

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I wasn't planning on doing it myself. It was just a personal question. I will heed my electrician's word on this.
Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Definitely talk to your electrician as breaker sizing will depend on what wiring is used. The two go hand in hand.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: