Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Adding CO2 to fermenter as it cools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Adding CO2 to fermenter as it cools. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am running my second beer through my ssbrewtech 14 gallon conical fermenter. On the first batch I sucked a bit of blowoff water into the ferment as I begin the cold crash. yuk! This time I have a balloon attached to the blowoff fitting that I try to keep full of CO2; However that this point the only place I have to add CO2 is on the side drain port near the bottom. Therefore as I add CO2 (<1 psi) it is bubbled up through the beer. I know there are some concerns with "stripping off" hop aromas and flavors. Are there any other issues?

Thoughts?

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same conical. I ended up modifying it with new parts to make it more like my MoreBeer conical, as it is real easy to keep head pressure on those.

I bought this cap to replace the 3" tri-clamp port on the top of the SS:
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/cap-3-tc-to-1-5-tc-reducer

I then attach a stainless 1.5" tri-clover tee like this:
http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-Clamp-Tee.html

I use this adapter from MoreBeer to monitor pressure and add co2 to the fermenter on the side of the tee:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-adapter-pressure-gauge.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
Make sure you get the female plastic QD for one of your gas lines so it makes it easy to attach and detach to the fitting.

Since the new 3" TC cap from SS removes the pressure relief valve, I use a 1.5" tri-clover cap that has a welded pressure relief valve on the top of the tee (think it came from one of their yeast harvesters, I do not see it for sale individually on the website). You can also get another weldless pressure relief from SS to install either offset on the new cap, or attach it to the lid as well. While I am sure you could get away without one, I like having it in case I am not paying attention with the CO2 while I am doing pressurized transfers. I wouldn't go much higher than 2-3 psi on these fermenters.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, thanks for the ideas.
I don't have the 3" TC on mine, I got it just before they came out with the upgraded conicals. But the use of a tee on top will keep me from drilling another hole. I will probably attach a corny post to one of the tee legs. Great, more things to play with...

Thanks

Kal Clone Controller
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike:

Any chance you could post a picture of this setup? I'm having trouble envisioning what the complete assembly looks like when in use.

thanks

W
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding CO2 to fermenter as it cools. Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
I am running my second beer through my ssbrewtech 14 gallon conical fermenter. On the first batch I sucked a bit of blowoff water into the ferment as I begin the cold crash. yuk! This time I have a balloon attached to the blowoff fitting that I try to keep full of CO2; However that this point the only place I have to add CO2 is on the side drain port near the bottom. Therefore as I add CO2 (<1 psi) it is bubbled up through the beer. I know there are some concerns with "stripping off" hop aromas and flavors. Are there any other issues?

Thoughts?

I use cheap vodka diluted 50:50 with distilled water in my airlock. If any of this gets sucked in when I crash cool I don't have any worries!
View user's photo album (1 photos)
David_H

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumpy,
Attached is a photo of my interpretation of what Spike suggested.
The components are
>> 1"/1.5" Tri Clover Compatible X 1/4" Male NPT Brewershardware.com
>> Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Cross, Class 150, 1/4" NPT Female amazon.com
>> Winters PEM Series Pressure Gauge, 0-15 psi/kpa, 2" Dial Display, 1/4" NPT Bottom Mount amazon.com
>> Plug Adapter 1/4" MPT x 19/32" homebrewing.org
Ball Lock Gas Post homebrewing.org
>> 1/4 MPT to 3/8 Barb
This port as configured for a blow off tube or the balloon as stated above
It could also be used for a PRV if you want to capture the little bit of pressure from the last of the fermentation.

Fermenter_Pressure_Fitting-.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.16 KB
 Viewed:  15737 Time(s)

Fermenter_Pressure_Fitting-.jpg

Kal Clone Controller
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is my setup. On the back of the pressure gauge is the QD for the CO2, as seen on the MoreBeer page here:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-adapter-pressure-gauge.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Mike

co2 fitting edited.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.13 KB
 Viewed:  15721 Time(s)

co2 fitting edited.jpg

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spike and David_H for the pictures - I think I might be getting an idea of what I want to do. Note that I've got a Blichmann.

W
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: