Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Drying silcone hose after use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p10ness

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Drying silcone hose after use? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All

Just wondering how you all dry off the inside of your silicone hoses after use.?
Is sticking them into the oven at a suitably low temperature the best option? I presume if left wet they will have mold growth inside...
Cheers
Paul

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to dry them like that. You just need to make sure there's no standing water in them.

I hang them like this:

The only place I get standing water in the pumps HERMS coil and CFC, and possibly some of the other fittings, which is why I take a couple of minutes at the end of brew day to blow out any standing water using shop vac. See here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=14

I didn't do this for the first few brews and was surprised one day to see a few little bits of mould floating around in the MLT after I transferred strike water and started recirculating. It had come out of the HERMS coil and had grown because of standing water. So I got a shop vac dedicated to just blowing and use it now every time. Never had problems since.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
p10ness

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remnants of rinse water left in the HERMS coil are a little annoying. I too had mold in there after the first couple uses. I have just been blowing through the coil with lung power, but maybe I will keep my little pancake compressor handy on brew day to push a little compressed air in there...
View user's photo album (10 photos)
p10ness

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it builds up the chest muscles tho.....
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use a small shop vac ($30), but I vacuum out the water. I use it to suck out the pumps after flushing with star-san as well as cleaning my brew kettle in place, also cleaning up my grain mill after milling. Works like a charm.

Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used a compressor to blow out my wort chiller, works like a charm!
cscade

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you close your HERMS coil valves at the end of the sparge before disconnecting the hoses and leave them closed, it will be full of water with no air pockets. It won't mold with just water and no air, at least within the 4 weeks max between brews. When I first built the system I had trouble with mold because I was unable to get ALL the water out of the coil. My troubles went away when I realized I was just trying too hard Wink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^
Thanks for the tip Cscade... Dang. Sometimes it's the simple solutions that work out best. I guess it wont hurt a thing to leave water in the coil. I know mine will be full of water next time I brew.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Water in HERMS, chiller, and pumps Reply with quote

I like Castermint, suck my HERMS coil, counterflow chiller, and pumps out with the shop vac after brewing and then leave them open to air dry. Have had no issues with mold, buildup, etc...

I usually flush my chiller and wort pump with hot water before sucking them out with the shop vac after transfer to the fermenter. In order to ensure sterile environment, I circulate sanitizing solution through the wort pump, chiller, and hoses, during the boil prior to chill and transfer to fermenter.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchin wrote:
I've always used a compressor to blow out my wort chiller, works like a charm!

Is your compressor oil-less, or are you using an inline oil filter?

EDIT: This was a bit abrupt and not intended.

I ask because I needed to replace some of my hose using an air compressor that did spit a little oil and coated them. The next time I used them to fill my HLT I noticed a small "oil slick" on the clear water. Hoping to save others the work of a good kettle scrub and buying new hose.
Josh

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 GAL Shop Vac. You can get "micro" kits for them (mine is actually the Rigid Brand) and it works perfect. The fitting is 1/2".
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an allergy sufferer, mold being the worst so I just run boiling water through the whole system right before my brew, just seems to give me piece of mind if anything lol
paulmantovani

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about after cleaning and rinsing the brewery, mixing up a batch of Five Star in the HLT, pumping it into the MLT, through the coils, into the BT, and through the chiller. Then just leave the remnants in the system. The stuff is safe at the recommended mix.

Of course I've not tried this myself, being no where near completion of my system!
TheGecko

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulmantovani wrote:
What about after cleaning and rinsing the brewery, mixing up a batch of Five Star in the HLT, pumping it into the MLT, through the coils, into the BT, and through the chiller. Then just leave the remnants in the system. The stuff is safe at the recommended mix.

Of course I've not tried this myself, being no where near completion of my system!

This is what I do. I have had no issues with mold. I keep the HERMS coil full of sanitizer between brew days. Someone speak up, please, if this is bad for my components!

Cheers,
Drew

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something I need to pay attention to. I've never noticed any mold but not sure I was looking that close. I'm a little nervous about using my air compressor to plow out the coils. Have you seen how nasty the water is when you open the blow out valve on the compressor tank. I realize that is mostly rust which looks worse than it actually is but it's gross.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowpaige64507 wrote:
I'm a little nervous about using my air compressor to plow out the coils. Have you seen how nasty the water is when you open the blow out valve on the compressor tank. I realize that is mostly rust which looks worse than it actually is but it's gross.

Water in a brewing setup will have only been sitting idle for a few minutes before being blown out. There will not be any rust or nasties.

I think you guys are possibly overthinking this - I simply hang up my hoses after use (see picture a few posts above). The only other places where water may sit between brew days and go possibly go stale/moldy is in the HERMS coil and CFC. A quick 10 second blow with a shop vac to push out any standing water is all that's needed.

Then leave all ball valves open, and leave the kettle lids off overnight to let things dry.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: