Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Scott's (Third Stage) basement brewery build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've done 2 batches in the brewery with the temporary system and I love it so far. I've been concentrating on the space and finishing up the control panel. It still takes longer than I'd like to heat 26 gallons of strike and HLT water.

I'm almost done with my 50A panel and I think I may change it to a hybrid 50A where I can either do back to back with both the HLT and boil elements running or I can have a second element in the HLT. I just need to swap out the boil element switch for a 3 way, add a third ssd with another contactor and another element connector.

I wonder if I can manage dual elements in both kettles.... I just can't stop upgrading. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 250 sqft of floor epoxied on Sunday and started moving items back onto it.

wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kegged the first batch I brewed in the new basement brewery and I think it's the best beer I've made so far. It was another IPA, no surprise there. I was originally planning a SMaSH but wanted to use Citra and found that Citra can be rather one-dimensional by itself so I added Ahtanium to balance it out and it worked out great. I took the keg to a beer tasting party that a friend was putting on with all commercial beers. Mine was the only homebrew there but most of the guys at the party were "beer snobs" and my beer was a big hit. I overheard one guy telling another that it was the best homebrew he ever had. A couple of them filled growlers and asked me if I would make them a batch. It was great to get that kind of feedback.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome. That wood tile is sharp!
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took me long enough, but I FINALLY got the 50A circuit finished and got to fire up the panel today. I missed one wire that ties the PIDs and timer back to the neutral bus. Once I got that installed, everything else worked just fine. So Happy to be able to finally use it!.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Seems like it's coming along well... that first brew isn't far off!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed with it the next day and it was great! Can't wait to try that beer! The only thing I noticed was that the power switch didn't always shut the panel off. I think it's a sticky contact module on the back of the switch. Anyone ever see that?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
The only thing I noticed was that the power switch didn't always shut the panel off. I think it's a sticky contact module on the back of the switch. Anyone ever see that?

If it only happens sometimes without you touching any of the other switches then it's likely a problematic contactor. You'll need to order a new one. If you purchased from us, email us at SpikeInnovations@TheElectricBrewery.com and we'll send you out a replacement ASAP at no cost.

If it happens consistently (every time) with switches in certain positions and you can only turn it off by pulling the plug, then it's likely a wiring problem that has to do with the safe start interlock.

Kal

wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is intermittent. I'll need to do some more troubleshooting to narrow it down.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely the contactor then. Sometimes a bad one can cause intermittent behaviour like this. If you purchased from us, email us at SpikeInnovations@TheElectricBrewery.com and we'll send you out a replacement ASAP at no cost.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify for me, are you using Spike Brewing custom kettles but using Kal's electric control panel?

It seemed like the only significant difference is their heating element housing isn't that box, but the SS housing with the triclover clamp. Is that accurate?

Overall how're you liking this setup? I have a 20G Blichmann G1 I might just offload and then snap up 3 custom kettles from these guys. I prefer the EB Control Panel though...is this similar to what you went with?
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
Can you clarify for me, are you using Spike Brewing custom kettles but using Kal's electric control panel?

It seemed like the only significant difference is their heating element housing isn't that box, but the SS housing with the triclover clamp. Is that accurate?

Overall how're you liking this setup? I have a 20G Blichmann G1 I might just offload and then snap up 3 custom kettles from these guys. I prefer the EB Control Panel though...is this similar to what you went with?

I built my control panel using Kal's awesome instructions. I made a few modifications and I'm very happy with it overall, but it was a lot more work than I initially thought. I'm also super happy with the custom kettles from Spike Brewing. Altogether, the 3 30 gallon kettles with the 30 gallon false bottom were around $1300. I worked with Ben on the order and he is the one that suggested the TC fitting for the element and I went with the TC element housing. At first it was tricky to get the 5500W ripple element in through the 1.5" TC opening and I initially wished I had gotten the 2" TC fitting instead. I have since straightened the element and now I have no issues at all getting the element in and out. Makes cleaning a breeze.
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the TC element housing from Spike Brewing (pretty damn confusing with Spike Innovations...)? Or is it from this site?
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike Brewing welded the TC flanges on my kettles. The element housing is from here:https://www.brewershardware.com/TC15F10NPSCOV.html

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kal controller is completely independent of the actual brewing kettles. If you look around this forum you will see a large variety of keggles, Blichmanns, 55 gallon drums, Bayou Classics, etc. kettles. In most cases the process is all the same only the details of the equipment are different.

I just got 3 Spike Brewing kettles with all the bells and whistles.
Most of the custom work is not on their website. Email them with what you are wanting to do. And they will get back to you

I have 2" TC's welded to the HLT and BK. I did buy their 5500 Watt SS heating elements and housing, but both of those are off the shelf items and available elsewhere. The housing is the one from brewershardware and it is cheaper from brewershardware than it is from Spike. I found that out after the fact. Spike uses a custom push to connect fitting for all of the in-kettle connections. You don't have to use their internal connection, however I do find them convenient. They use a 5/8" OD connection for all of the drain and return plumbing (this in internal and does not affect the outside plumbing) However the HERMS coil is 1/2" OD and they have 1/2" fitting, so if you have existing 1/2" SS tubing for pickups request the 1/2" fittings from Spike. It pretty much all customizable. Just ask.

I did have a problem between the HERMS coil and the push-to-connect fitting. It leaked horribly. Spike was very quick to replace them and provide return shipping on the bad parts. The new set of push-to-connect fitting and HERMS work great. It most likely was the one in hundred (or thousand) bad part. Someones got to get it, this time it was me. My advice would be to set up the HERMS as soon as you can and check this connection. This is the only location with the push to connect fittings that leakage is of any real concern.

I am very happy with Spikes MLT screen. The kettles have the stepped bottom that allows the mash screen to sit flat on the ledge. Previously I had a 10 gallon cooler with a domed screen. The result of the deeper grain bed and smaller diameter caused slow (sometimes stuck) recirculation. With the Spikes setup the grain stays very loose and zero recirculation issues.

All in all I am happy.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
masbrooklyn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross, I believe I'm building my panel just like yours. Would you share your schematic? Having trouble locating resources. Specifically I'm using the same PIDs, Timer and AMP/Volt meter. Thanks!
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a full schematic as I used Kal's excellent documentation for the majority. The PIDs are almost identical. the terminal numbers may be different, but the functions are pretty clearly labelled. The meter is super simple. Just power it from the two 240 hot legs and put the donut on one of the main input legs (black or red). The timer is a little trickier and took some tweaking to figure out. I posted a timer specific schematic here:http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316826#316826

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super happy with the way my homemade tap handles came out. These were made from a curly maple tree that I cut down in the back yard a few years ago. It was just sitting in the woods going to waste when my neighbor had a guy with a portable saw mill come over to slice up some oak for his dining room project. I had the guys saw the trunk into boards but I didn't know what to make with the wood at the time, so I saved it for a special project and now I'm glad I did! It's always better when you have a personal connection to the source of the materials. I just love how the wood looks rippled, but is smooth as silk.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I do like that rippled look. Reminds me fudge ripple ice cream. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: