Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Boiling Honey With The Electric Brewery

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Boiling Honey With The Electric Brewery Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone, I have this American Brown Ale recipe that I want to try and it requires boiling 3 pounds of honey (for a 5 gallon batch) in the boil kettle during the last 5 minutes of the boil, to stir and mix. After I fool around with the recipe in BeerSmith for an 11 gallon batch it will probably be close to 6 pounds of honey. I thought about adding the honey on the side of the kettle being careful not to hit the heating element and trying to stir. I also thought about taking out a few gallons of boiling wort and boiling the honey on the stove in a separate pot, and stirring it in to mix well. Then I could add this back into the boil kettle with the honey dissolved. Anyone actually use honey in the boil kettle with the electric brewery and the heating element in the same kettle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply add the honey slowly, so that it dissolves and the boil continues uninterrupted. I do it all the time with simple sugars (like table sugar or dextrose) which is what honey basically is. You don't want to drop in a whole ~6 pounds in one lump as it'll cool off the wort too much (stop the boil) given that you're adding a fairly large mass at room temp, and that is could also burn on the heating element if a giant mass falls on it. Drizzle it in at a reasonable pace and you'll be fine. I find turning the boil PID up to 100% while I do this helps bring the heat back faster.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sounds good Kal. One more thing, I want to avoid the middle of the kettle so it doesn't hit the heating element right? Otherwise it might give off flavors, or don't worry about it and just pour it in slowly a little at a time?

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter where you add it as the wort is boiling vigorously. It's all about adding it reasonably slowly. Just like adding table sugar or dextrose. Pour it in a bit at a time over a few minutes instead of dumping it all in in one second.

In all cases with simple sugars only a few seconds of contact time are required to kill off any nasties that might be in there (however doubtful). So how long you boil isn't overly important.

I like to add simple sugars like this in the last few mins of the boil since higher gravity wort is less conducive to hop oil extraction.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I was worried about hitting the heating element and causing problems. I will add it during the last 5 minutes. Really appreciate the fast replies!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! It's not really an issue. We have many extract brewers using electric setups with heating elements with zero issues, adding extract to the boil. (Extract is like thick tar).

These guys here did hundreds of such batches in the first year or so operation using our control panel and heating elements:

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri May 13, 2016 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very good to know! I only used honey in past brews on an older system where I boiled in a pot using propane. I also used it years ago boiling on the stove in a pot in my extract days. Thanks again for the info.

John

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: