Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

WTB: CO2 cylinder in Ottawa

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geosmashing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: WTB: CO2 cylinder in Ottawa Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Let me know if anyone in the Ottawa, Canada area has a #5 or #10 CO2 tank they're looking to sell.

I'm also wondering if it would be cheaper to buy one locally versus ordering online? A brand new one is $79.99 at Ontario Beer Kegs, plus about $13 for shipping. But it seems like a pretty standard item. Where does one go to buy one of these in person? I'm thinking a welding supply shop maybe?

Cheers,
Geo

Last edited by Geosmashing on Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things are not available locally in Ottawa at anything reasonably priced, so I bought all my stuff online. You'll always need other things too so I find it so much easier to just click and buy too.

P.S. I updated your link to OBK to support our site - Thank you for your support!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dunnry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WTB: CO2 cylinder in Ottawa Reply with quote

Geosmashing wrote:
Let me know if anyone in the Ottawa, Canada area has a #5 or #10 CO2 tank they're looking to sell.

I'm also wondering if it would be cheaper to buy one locally versus ordering online? A brand new one is $79.99 at Ontario Beer Kegs, plus about $13 for shipping. But it seems like a pretty standard item. Where does one go to buy one of these in person? I'm thinking a welding supply shop maybe?

Cheers,
Geo

I bought my 10# CO2 tank locally from a Fire Extinguisher/Suppression system shop. Since their whole business is fire, they also fill CO2 tanks. The great thing is that they also sell reconditioned (newly painted) fire extinguishers with new hydro date for cheap. I think I got my 10# for $50 filled. Sure, it's a giant red cylinder, but who cares? The cylinder works great.

You should look locally for a fire suppression/extinguisher shop and see if they do the same. I'll bet you they do.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local welding shop.
I bought a shiny new tank years ago, I think at a local homebrew store. For refills I would drop it off at a welding supply and come back a few days later, which wasn't terribly convenient. As it approached the date for a retest required, I just swapped it out. Now I just do the swaps--quick and easy. Sometimes the tank I get doesn't look beautiful, but I don't look at it much.

Go for at least 10# if you can fit it. My local shop charges nearly the same for a 10# swap as a 5#. The cost is in the labor at that point. I'm thinking of switching up to a 20# on my next swap now that I have the space in my cooler for it. I might then get a 5# for travel and work in the brewery, e.g. pushing sanitizer out of a single keg.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone! I picked up a used #20 from a guy off my local Craigslist-type site. It's pretty rusty on the outside, and I will need to replace the regulator. I guess the next step is to take it to the local fire extinguisher place to see if they'll re-certify and re-fill it.
Geosmashing

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
Go for at least 10# if you can fit it. My local shop charges nearly the same for a 10# swap as a 5#. The cost is in the labor at that point. I'm thinking of switching up to a 20# on my next swap now that I have the space in my cooler for it. I might then get a 5# for travel and work in the brewery, e.g. pushing sanitizer out of a single keg.

I agree with your line of thinking. I already have a #5 and although it lasts long enough, keeping it in the fridge takes up too much space. I'm building a new, improved "version 2.0" kegerator out of a full-size upright fridge and will be keeping the CO2 bottle on the outside this time. So I might as well go as big as possible with the CO2 cylinder so I can minimize my trips to get it refilled.
Cory

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread but an updated answer effective May 2, 2016 (I had the same questions). I called around the city (after doing one refill at Davidson's) and if you wish to own and refill Co2 tanks there are two options that are most affordable that I am aware of in this city:

Davidson's (downtown Ottawa)

5 # refill $23.35 +tax
10 # refill $27.75 +tax
20 # refill $33.50 +tax
pre-filled #20 used tank is $195.00 +tax

Pyromateck Inc (just across the river in Gatineau).

5 # refill $20.00 +tax
10 # refill $25.00 +tax
20 # refill $30.00 +tax
pre-filled #20 used tank is $125.00 +tax (photo attached). The one in the background is my #5 backup.

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend buying the biggest tank you can as the cost of gas only goes up incrementally. Not having to fill as often means it's less of a pain too.

That said, I don't practice what I preach. Wink I have one 5# for CO2 in my conditioning fridge (larger will not fit easily), a 20# for CO2/Nitro blend in the basement bar, a 10# for CO2 in the basement bar (this would be 20# if I could do things over again but in the previous house I didn't have room for anything larger at the old house), and then a second 5# for CO2 in an outdoor kegerator (bigger won't fit and I prefer having it inside the unit to hide it, not to mention it came with it).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: