Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Success of Microbreweries hurting homebrew stores?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Success of Microbreweries hurting homebrew stores? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all - long time no see Wink

I am in the process of rebuilding my brewery after the rewiring the first floor and went to the local brewstore to find that it's closed. Sent a message to the old owner and met up with him to find out that his business dropped dramatically since all of the new microbreweries opened.

Anyone else seen the same thing happen in their area?

Thanks!
perogi.
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Success of Microbreweries hurting homebrew stores? Reply with quote

My LHBS seems to think online purchases are what's killing the locals!
I like to keep revenue in the community but if I can save 20-40% !

perogi wrote:
Hey all - long time no see Wink

I am in the process of rebuilding my brewery after the rewiring the first floor and went to the local brewstore to find that it's closed. Sent a message to the old owner and met up with him to find out that his business dropped dramatically since all of the new microbreweries opened.

Thanks!
perogi.

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenneywood Brewing in Crown Point, IN was bought by a new startup micro brewery (St. John Malt brothers Brewing) and moved the store to their brewery a few miles away. Makes since to not have to rent a store front when you have a place you can sell out of. I use the LHBS for my specialty grains, yeast and odds and ends. I always by more then I need, knowing that the business, needs business, to stay in business.

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner's thought was that people are less likely to brew now that you can get something other than "corn beer" in just about every restaurant.
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the success of micros would mean more beer lovers which in turn would mean more potential customers for the LHBS. I guess it's not working out like that.
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadie wrote:
I thought that the success of micros would mean more beer lovers which in turn would mean more potential customers for the LHBS. I guess it's not working out like that.

To be honest, this is what I was expecting too. I was curious if it was happening in other parts of the country
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Success of Microbreweries hurting homebrew stores? Reply with quote

perogi wrote:

I'm seeing the opposite. More interest in craft beer has people wanting to make their own. We had many Local HomeBrew Shops (LHBS's) that used to sell beer making supplies and ingredients stop years ago and convert 100% to wine, and now we're seeing many start selling beer stuff again because there's interest again.

Back in the day everyone wanted to make "bud light", they'd buy an extract kit and make it, found it didn't taste anything like "bud light" (which is true because they were trying to do the impossible with extract, and poor quality ale yeast). Today that's no longer the case and interest has surged, with people making IPAs, Belgians, you name it. Quality of the ingredients and supplies has increased dramatically too.

I would say the main reason is that LHBS's are being hit hard by online retail.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear Kal. Maybe it's just the ebb and flow that happens in almost any industry.

I can say that in my area, there's TONS of new breweries that have opened. From nano to micro - (go free state project house reps for the new nano brewery rules!)

Hoping that it flows back to more HBS openings!!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that a lot of LHBS's are complaining about online retail and how it's hurting their business. No different than what Amazon's done to local shopping.

Kal

perogi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
what Amazon's done to local shopping.

What's local shopping? Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point exactly. Wink

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country Malt Group used to sell to anyone who opened an account. Now they made a deal to not sell to the public, only commercial accounts( I have a buddy who was grandfathered in). That helps the LHBS but it' not enough to offset the online stores. Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was younger and wanted to work more, I would open a store. The two we have are way over priced and frankly not very good. I can grab stuff from there in a pinch, but I'd rather not.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LHBS that I go to is very competitive with online retailers. But last time I was in the store, the owner was telling me that big changes was coming. So I am going to assume that his prices are going to go way up. Too bad since I liked going there even though it was over an hour away from my house.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic.
Here in Minneapolis, there are two players - Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply (both owned by the same outfit).
There are a few smaller LBS's but they have nowhere near the grain and yeast selection.
I have no complaints with Northern or Midwest; both have treated me well, but some competition would be appreciated for pricing. Back in the old days, homebrew was a lot cheaper than store bought.
I don't see Microbrew pubs competing with LBS's, but rather enhancing the home brewing hobby and demand. What's killing the LBS's are online sales. It's very difficult and costly for a local shop to stock everything required.
Builder

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LHBS closed recently. Its a shame because this is a fairly large city and they have been in business for 20 years or more. It's a bit of a drive for me to get to them, but I'd rather buy local so I can have it today, but that's not possible anymore. My only other local option is a hardware store with one aisle dedicated to beer and winemaking.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:
Interesting topic.
Here in Minneapolis, there are two players - Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply (both owned by the same outfit).
There are a few smaller LBS's but they have nowhere near the grain and yeast selection.
I have no complaints with Northern or Midwest; both have treated me well, but some competition would be appreciated for pricing. Back in the old days, homebrew was a lot cheaper than store bought.
I don't see Microbrew pubs competing with LBS's, but rather enhancing the home brewing hobby and demand. What's killing the LBS's are online sales. It's very difficult and costly for a local shop to stock everything required.

It's places like Northern Brewer/Midwest Supply, Morebeer and Amazon that are killing the local homebrew shops. I mean when you can have it delivered to your house at a lower cost... Kind of hard to compete with those large companies.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: