Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Induction heating

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HopSteady

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Induction heating Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am considering using a 5 kW induction heater (countertop style built into a brew stand) for the BK for the following reasons:

- no elements inside BK for unobstructed whirpool
- no elements = easier cleaning of BK

Other benefits seem to be heat transfer efficiency and very low heat density. Downsides are increased cost and inability to use blichmann boilermaker kettles.

Anything else I'm missing? Will the induction interfere with the temp gauge for example? Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at various external heating methods (hot plates) including induction when I first designed my brewery.

With the heat requirements (5500-9000W) and the weight and size of the kettles, industrial versions used in the restaurant industry were required. These sizes I was considering were quite expensive (many thousands) but more importantly do not provide the same level of control, alarming, and so on. Since it only presented downsides compared to directly heating the water or wort with an electric element, I discarded the idea.

Then there's the issue you mention that Blichmann kettles which I like due to the nature of having robust brewing specific items integrated do not have bottoms made of magnetic grade stainless steel, so induction would not have worked but a standard hot plate would have. Others kettles would work (due to their aluminum clad bottom) but many not are made for brewing so many items have to added aftermarket which may introduce problems. Clad bottom pots are also heavier. I really preferred the Blichmann kettles (and still do) so it was a non-starter along all fronts.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of batches are you planing on making? I have an induction stove and it takes forever to boil 3 gallons and it will not boil 5 gallons. Unless you are making very small batches I don't think you would be happy with the results.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction heating Reply with quote

HopSteady wrote:
I am considering using a 5 kW induction heater ....
Other benefits seem to be heat transfer efficiency ...

I missed this the first time around, but induction heaters heating from below are not more efficient at heat transfer than a heating element immersed in the wort.

With a heating element immersed in the wort 100% of the heat goes into the wort. An induction heater heats indirectly from below. The heat has to pass through the kettle wall. It's less efficient. Not as bad as a flame heated kettle where most of the heat bounces off and goes into the atmosphere, but definitely not as efficient as a heat source placed in the wort (heating element).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: