Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

First brew ever - 5 gallon Pumpkin Ale - Review of my math?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Basically, in the interest of safety you're opening and closing the kettle valves several times during the brew. And while it might sound petty, taking the time to screw them shut and open x number of times just got on my nerves vs a ball valve that's just a flick of the wrist. As well, I at least one time almost had a spill when I forgot to close a valve. Where a ball valve can quickly be seen as open or closed, the state of the g2 valve is not so readily seen!

Did not help that on two of the valves, the machining was rough (or maybe a bit of metal from my drilling got in there ) but regardless, they took some effort to open and close on occasion until I hit them with keg lube.
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just sampled the gravity and it's 1.022; same reading as three days after it went into the fermenter. Doing a bit of math, my starting gravity should have been 1.068. Kicking myself for doing that dump, but given it's been 2.5 weeks and the numbers don't seem to be moving, I'm thinking of racking it to the keg.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by Topdollar on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give it a gentle swirl and leave it another week. Would be good to get some more points out of it. Seems like it may be too sweet. How's it taste?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising enough it doesn't seem sweet at all! I gave it a shake this am, but I might test again tomorrow using a couple of hydrometers to see if it's not a calibration issue. Perhaps it's lower than what I think....
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just tested, wait a few days. Testing every day isn't required. The more you test, the more likely you are to cause issues. As Charlie would say "RDWHAHB". Wink

Using two hydrometers won't tell you if either of them is right. If they don't give the same result, all you know is that one of them (or both of them) is off. If they both give the same result that doesn't tell you anything.

Follow the instructions here to make sure your hydrometer is reading correctly: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=7

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...racked into the keg today. FG actually did drop...amazingly..to 1.016. Smelled a bit sweet - but it tastes excellent. More or less what I was aiming for. Guess it's due to me fermenting it at 74

The WLP002 dropped amazingly clear.

Added 3 tsp of vanilla and into the fridge it goes for carbonation and conditioning! Let you know how it tastes in a few weeks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: