Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

FBC Brewery Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: FBC Brewery Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all,

I've been a big fan of what Kal has done with The Electric Brewery for several years, and I've been reading all the great input he and all you forum users have been posting. Thanks for all the fantastic discussions!

A few years ago we moved into a house that has a room that I picked out to work specifically as a brewery. Like other fans of the electric brewing model I really wanted to brew indoors, and I wanted to make a professional grade brewery that would be a show piece and last indefinitely. It took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears...(and a couple dollars), but other than some finish work to complete - It's ready to show! I followed Kal's free advice on setting up the pots, did 95% of the work myself (some friends lent a hand and equipment with sheetrock and welding), and I sourced Kal/ Spike for the control panel/ SS coil/ temp probe sets and the like, and used a local metal fabricator for the hood.

No-move hose system - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326393#326393

Motorized mill cart - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30968&highlight=

Fermentation Cabinet build - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30544

Two stage wort chiller build - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=oxygen&&start=40

Here are the BEFORE pictures.

IMG_1683.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.81 KB
 Viewed:  118392 Time(s)

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.44 KB

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg
 Description:
The bedroom in the finished basement has hook-ups for washer/dryer and other outlets in the closet. Perfect!
 Filesize:  59.1 KB

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.61 KB

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.05 KB

IMG_1678.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:45 am; edited 5 times in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: FBC Brewery build AFTER pictures Reply with quote

...and here are the AFTER pictures.

IMG_0215.jpg
 Description:
Brew system with dedicated whirlpool and no-move hose system.
 Filesize:  279.62 KB
 Viewed:  97490 Time(s)

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg
 Description:
Fermentation chambers
 Filesize:  288.09 KB

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg
 Description:
Lab
 Filesize:  286.54 KB

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  288.26 KB

IMG_0217.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice job - Thanks for sharing! So what was the inaugural brew?

Would you mind if I used one of the pictures on our Testimonials page (I think I like your last picture best) if you have some words you'd like to include?

Cheers!

Kal

P.S. I see 4 kettles - what's the 4th for?

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: light fixture Reply with quote

I knew that lighting in the hood wouldn't be very good, and I didn't want to pay for a pre-lit commercial hood. I decided to install something on the backsplash that would give some ambiance and provide a light source. Since I couldn't find anything that fit my needs, I built my own. I really wanted an industrial look, but something that balanced the modern design of the room. The caged Edison bulbs looked attractive, so after a fair amount of trial and error I mounted them to 1/2" galvanized pipe and hooked them up to a dimmer. I really like how they show off the "Electric" component of the the brewery.

IMG_2176.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.95 KB
 Viewed:  118457 Time(s)

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.65 KB

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.54 KB

IMG_2168.jpg

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Wow! Nice job - Thanks for sharing! So what was the inaugural brew?

Thanks, Kal! My first brew was a Wanderlust IPA clone (Breakside Brewing, Portland OR). I don't know how to link to it, but I have a thread on this forum in YEAST on what happens when your buddy pitches 10x the amount of yeast nutrient into the boil. Wink

My second beer was your Blonde Ale recipe. They both turned out awesome! I served them both on keg at a get together at my house. 10 gallons of IPA was gone that night, and the Blonde only made it 5 days (the party and a few growlers that went out on requests after).

kal wrote:
P.S. I see 4 kettles - what's the 4th for?

The 4th kettle is a whirlpool. It's a 160 qt aluminum stock pot, which is a little ridiculous given that 11 gallons of wort only fills it less than a 1/4 full. I wanted a wider bottom at a lower cost than the Blichmann's. I had thought about having the height cut down about halfway, but I'm going to leave it for now. I wasn't impressed with the whirlpool speed on a wet test - it was fairly lazy. As an aside, does anyone know if it's possible to run the pumps in series? I'm thinking about trying it to see if I can increase whirlpool speed.

IMG_2381.jpg
 Description:
Crystal clear Electric Blonde!
 Filesize:  64.46 KB
 Viewed:  118565 Time(s)

IMG_2381.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clarity on that beer! How long's it been kegged (or bottled) for?

Also like the lighting... very retro / almost steam-punk like and I like how you make it look very "electric" like you said. Great job!

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I'll see if I can get you a better picture, maybe facing the panel.

That's a picture of the Blonde, and I had it in the keg for only 5 days. Shocked I had to rush it to be ready for the party, so I put gelatin solution in it, shook it around every 12 hours or so, and drained it. Gelatin-ed it twice, while force carbonating and cold crashing it best I could in a fridge.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look great!

I thought this picture was really good:

No need to face the panel - got enough of those pictures on this site already - It's seeing the rest of the room that I think is more interesting! Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this one anyway...

DSC08656.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.79 KB
 Viewed:  118556 Time(s)

DSC08656.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok- that one's even better!

Forgot to answer this:

McGruber wrote:
As an aside, does anyone know if it's possible to run the pumps in series? I'm thinking about trying it to see if I can increase whirlpool speed.

I don't think that'll make anything noticeably faster as both pumps are pushing at the same speed.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Congratulations on getting it set up how you wanted it.
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a nozzle on the output into the whirlpool. That will increase the water velocity .
Even though the pressure is reduced!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee has it right: Reduce the size at the output and velocity will increase.

Good luck!

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal and Tennessee, I'll run some flow tests. I'm thinking a wine cork floating in water will help me count revolutions per minute. I have the items I need to reduce the input diameter in the whirlpool, I was just trying to reduce the amount of cracks/ threads/ joints where wort comes in contact with post-hot side hardware. I'll try a few things and get back.

Last edited by McGruber on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few other projects I thought I would share. I think they all turned out pretty well, but if anyone has questions or suggestions I'm happy to respond.

This is my wort chiller. You may have noticed I used tri-clamp fittings instead of quick connects in my build. I got used to using tri-clamps when I "worked" (volunteered) in a microbrewery, and I wanted to carry that over to my homebrew set up. It has its own headaches (including cost), but I like them. My friend Ryan welded both of these frames for me using square tubing I bought from Home Depot. Not visible in the "first version" picture is an oxygen stone attached via a "T" behind the thermometer for in-line oxygenation and the oxygen tank with sanitary filter.

img_9081_a_146.jpg
 Description:
Updated version - water chilled CFC, glycol chilled plate chiller with filter and inline oxygenation.
 Filesize:  282.58 KB
 Viewed:  97724 Time(s)

img_9081_a_146.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg
 Description:
First version
 Filesize:  53.92 KB
 Viewed:  118418 Time(s)

IMG_2204.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 am; edited 3 times in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pumps. They're basically as Kal designed, except I also had my friend weld a square tubing frame for these. I found they are very "front heavy". They want to fall forward toward the openings/ valve and are prone to slipping around on the stainless shelf, especially when hooked up to tubing.

To combat that effect I filled the base with concrete, screwed rubber foot pads at the back, and hinged the front. In theory the back will weigh enough to balance the weight of the hoses, the pumps will remain stationary on the table, but I will still be able to tilt them forward to drain. Brew day is approaching, and I'll see if it works out...

Edit: Didn't work out. Way too front heavy and spills accumulated under the pump and were difficult to clean. Made a 1" square tube pump stand that grabs the underside of the table shelf at the back instead. Works perfect. See new build images below. Also, I now have a dedicated whirlpool pump.
Other images with hoses hooked up here - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

IMG_0046.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  266.31 KB
 Viewed:  97722 Time(s)

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.91 KB
 Viewed:  97722 Time(s)

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg
 Description:
First version was screwed into the table, but was too front heavy. Had to put dumbbell weights on it to keep it level.
 Filesize:  64.86 KB
 Viewed:  118415 Time(s)

IMG_2208.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: mash paddle Reply with quote

My neighbor makes fly fishing nets. I like fly fishing. I also like brewing! Put them together, and I got the idea to do a fly fishing mash paddle!

With his expertise and tools, and a similar design I found online (will find it again as reference if needed) we created this. It's birdseye maple with Brazilian cherry at the handle and toasted walnut inlays. I lacquered the handle, but not the part that contacts the mash.

IMG_2216.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.04 KB
 Viewed:  118408 Time(s)

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.06 KB
 Viewed:  118408 Time(s)

IMG_2217.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To serve my beer outside the brewery I built a SS jockey box. I sourced all the parts on Amazon.com (please use Kal's link for Amazon purchases!), and put it together. I can give more specifics on parts and assembly if requested. It works amazing, by the way.

IMG_2301.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.03 KB
 Viewed:  118397 Time(s)

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.37 KB
 Viewed:  118397 Time(s)

IMG_2299.jpg

asparknz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!

How are you chilling your fermenters?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an appropriate latitude for growing hops, and was given a growing bine as a gift - not sure which varietal (though I assume it's a C hop of some kind). This is the first year I've harvested them, and ended up with a little under 10 gallons. I had plans to build a modular tower around a box fan to dry hops, but I got rushed on harvesting season. Turns out I had an old, semi-busted bookshelf that didn't sell at a garage sale. I figured I could strip the back off it, and use the wire mesh I was going to use for the tower, and come up with something similar. I screwed on some 2x4's for legs and put a standing fan aimed at it, tossed it occasionally, and it was dry in a little over a day. The garage smelled AWESOME!! I vacuum sealed them and stuck them in my freezer. It's amazing how little they weigh.

IMG_1210.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.23 KB
 Viewed:  118383 Time(s)

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.09 KB

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.63 KB

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.93 KB

IMG_2806.jpg

Last edited by McGruber on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: