Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Temperature Probe Length

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Temperature Probe Length Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Converting existing keggle system to electric. On the boil keggle I have a 1/2 NPT tee with a dial thermometer and sightglass. I want to replace dial thermometer with a RTD temp probe. I was wondering if a 2" probe would function properly or if I should use a longer probe like the 2.36 Tri-Clover probe, or use a larger probe (I found a 6" probe online)? The tee is approximately 2" in length. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the probe tip's in the wort it should be fine. During heating or boiling the wort's moving around due to convection so it'll give you an accurate reading.

If in doubt, replace the Tee with a 90 degree elbow and install the boil probe in the wall like this:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/boil-kettle?page=4

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jimm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between tee, coupling, & nipple I think I'm going to need 100mm probe. Don't want to drill and weld another spud--just finished reassembling and polishing the keggle, (weldless not for me). I found a 100mm to 1/2 npt probe online and a soution using a 1/2 npt thermo probe compression fitting. Thanks anyway.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimm wrote:
just finished reassembling and polishing the keggle, (weldless not for me)

Don't discount weldless.

Most people assume weldless is "bad" because of misinformation.

What most don't realize is that there are tens of thousand of Blichmann kettles in use out there (for 10+ years now) and all are weldless. When you buy a stock Blichmann kettle the sight glass, temp dial, and ball valve all are weldless. They are perfectly sealed and never require maintenance.

We apply this same principle in order to attach extra fittings to the kettles for our design/setup.

There are hundreds of commercial breweries using this setup with Blichmann kettles as their main brewing setup or as a pilot setup. Some brewing 2-3 times/day for years. Some others (such as Brooklyn Brewery) use the setup as a pilot system. None of these places have ever had any issues with the weldless fittings that Blichmann uses for the ball valves / sight glass / thermometer or the weldless fittings that I show people how to attach per my instructions.

Most Blichmann owners don’t even know they’re weldless as the fittings are tight metal on metal, no different than welded. They never need to be taken apart for cleaning.

There's a stigma that weldless means "bad" but it's not true when done correctly. There have been lots of "bad" weldless implementations in the past that have not helped unfortunately.

Kal

jimm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not afraid of leaks, it's more about esthetics, (and adding another spud). I'm a little AR. None of the existing connections are weldless.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough!

As long as the probe's in contact with wort I think you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: