Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

stepping up a starter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: stepping up a starter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a new smack pk of wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager yst and stepped it up twice with 1.040 wort,i let it crash and was wondering if this 2 step starter is enough yst to brew a 10 gallon batch of Bohemian Pilsner?

I hope to brew Kals Bo Pilsner tomorrow, both step ups were made with 2 gallons of wort.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Hopster54

Mug
Funkalizer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this yeast calculator:
https://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Seems to indicate that if your yeast was brand spanking new and you used a stir plate for your starter you should be golden
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and the reassurrance funkaliser.

Very Happy
Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Though some will argue that the amounts listed are overly high.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again funkalizer & Kal.

Didnt get to brew this past weekend as we had a major windstorm blow in and knocked trees down all over,it looks like a war zone outside with debree absolutely everywhere,no power for 3 days,ripped down my hops,the hops that didnt get ripped down were stripped of leaves from the bottom up to mid height,cones all over.

Will have to harvest the ones that are on the bines when i get things cleaned up,raining today so decided to do some cleaning on brew equipment in hopes that i can get to brew the Czech pilsner later in the week.

Thanks again.

Mug
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is already fermented and almost ready to drink. Smile
But here are my thoughts and calculations.

The yeast growth is limited by the amount of sugar available in the wort.
One gallons in about 4 Liters and in 4 Liters of 1.040 there is about 400 grams of DME. Yeast will reproduce like crazy until they run out of food. The saturation point is about 2B cells per 1 gram of DME, so in your first 1 gallon starter, irrespective of how much yeast you started with your final cell count would be about 2B/g x 400 g = 800B. The general consensus cell count per 5 gallons is 200 B, so you had plenty.

If you pitched all of the yeast from the first batch in the second 1 gallon batch you probably got very limit increase in the cell count. Most of the sugar in the second starter was used to just maintain the yeast you pitched.

This information is based on this article by Kai Troester: (http://braukaiser.com/documents/Troester_NHC_2013_Step_Up_Your_Starter.pdf)

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: