Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

fermentation chamber idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: fermentation chamber idea Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm lucky enough to work at a LHBS and at the store we have these large heavy duty shelving units, kinda like the ones you see at HomeDepot or Lowes. I got the idea to use that as my base for building a fermentation chamber with 2 chambers, one for lagering and cold crashing, and the other larger chamber for fermenting ales.

my plan is to use the heavy duty shelving to hold the carboys and also give me additional storage in my garage.
I'd basically use plywood to build a box around the shelving and insulate it with foam insulation. I'm thinking of using either window ac units or mini fridges to do the cooling and have one unit for each chamber, with each plugged into a digital temperature controller. I'd also place fans in each chamber to move the cold air thru the chamber.

I would reinforce the shelve that is going to hold my carboys with crossbeams and plywood floor and insulate underneath that as well. I'd build doors in so that I can open the chambers in two spots and slid the carboys in and out as I need to.

anyone have recommendations on using the ac units or the mini fridge and pros and cons of both.

I'd also build it so that if one of the AC units or fridges should stop working I could easily remove them and put in a new one.

below is a picture of the shelving I mentioned earlier and a quick sketch I made to kind of show what i'm thinking for my plans

IndustrialHD_Shelving.jpg
 Description:
heavy duty shelving
 Filesize:  37.68 KB
 Viewed:  8023 Time(s)

IndustrialHD_Shelving.jpg

fermentation_chamber_sketch.jpg
 Description:
rough draft sketch of chamber idea

Download
 Filename:  fermentation_chamber_sketch.jpg
 Filesize:  181.28 KB
 Downloaded:  785 Time(s)

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I built a fermentation chamber that was approximately 3'x6'x3'. Perhaps it was bigger. I had a window unit on one side with a temp controller and foam insulation on all the interior walls. Worked great for keeping ales at 60F or higher in my garage during the hot summers in upstate S. Carolina. Seemed like the AC would only kick on every once in a while.

I don't think my system would have been able to get down to lager temps but I'm sure it can be done. Best of luck.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thing about something along those ideas for lagering and general storage of brewing supplies. I opted for a used refrigerator instead.

I do have some thoughts / opinions. The A/C would need an external controller and the A/C is very capable of reaching down into the high 30's. The problem will come when the A/C stops running and the fan blowing air across the evaporator coils stops blowing the local temperature around the coils drops way down (I'm guessing here but I would guess well below 0F and all of the local moisture in the air around the coils freezes. Then the air can't flow across the coils the temperature in the chamber starts to rise and the A/C never stops. I think the solution is to mod the wiring in the A/C to let the fan run all the time.

There is a company Store it Cold (storeitcold.com) that makes a controller to do just this but it is expensive. I personally would rewire the A/C.
And check out this website. franklinbrew.org/members/sj/walkin.html

You would also need to make sure you had good air flow between the shelves

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: