Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Belgian Saison

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Belgian Saison Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Finally got my brewery put together. I got a surprise job offer which I couldn't refuse. I've accepted it. So, I'm selling a house, moving, and buying a house. It looks like I'll have a good spot for the brewery that I have yet to use. A nice, dry, tart belgian saison is one of my favorites. I don't see any suggestions on recipes here. I'll assume it's an oversight!

Anyone have a tried and tested recipe on the electric brewery? I've also got a 14 gallon temperature controlled conical, so a warm fermentation isn't a problem. I want the maiden voyage to be a good one, so I'm asking for help from those that are experienced already.

Thanks,
Fal
stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice for saisons is to hold the fermentation at 68F only for about 1 day or so (until the vast bulk of yeast growth is over) and then start pushing the temp up 2-4 degrees per day until it's like 80. It results in awesome flavors and no hangovers. I've done this with WLP565.
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverspoons just posted a Saison recipe yesterday in a thread about step mashing. If you're brave enough to do an epic step mash for your maiden voyage it sounds like it could be a winner. Here's the link:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=309633#309633

Cheers!
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare a beer turns out BETTER than you expected. This was one, so I'm posting it.

OG: 1.052 SG
FG: 1.002 SG
Color: 4.3 SRM
IBU: 22.8 IBUs
ABV: 6.6%

Ingredients:
------------

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)
3 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1 lbs Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
2.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mins
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 mins
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml]
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Claussenii (White Labs #WLP645) [50.28 ml]

Saccharification @147.0 F for 90 min
Mash Out @168.0 F for 10 minutes

Pitched a 2L starter of the 3724 @72 F. As soon as strong fermentation started, I move the conical to my garage (Alabama Summer). There the temperature rose to 87 F and stayed within a degree for the rest of fermentation. After a few days, the 3724 stalled at 1.030 as it's known to do. I then added the other two yeasts, no starters. This was intentional because I expected the 3724 to stall and I wanted a slight "wild" flavor from the Brett, but not too much. The 3711 was just to finish fermentation strong. That yeast is like the Terminator. After 4-5 weeks of extremely erratic activity, it finished at 1.002 SG. The conical was place back in the upright freezer and chilled to 34 F for 3 days. The trub was dumped at this point and beer was kegged. I didn't add gelatin. I like a little yeast haze in this style beer. Carb to 3.0 vols.

In hindsight, I would have done a protein rest. My understanding is I would have got more efficiency from the flaked wheat. Either way, mash eff was 85% or so.

Taste is very dry and tart with bit of funk followed by a very obvious styrian goldings. Very refreshing.
stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently heard a podcast or read somewhere that Wyeast recommends starting 3724 at 90F and holding there throughout fermentation to prevent any sticking in the 1.030 range. Haven't tried that yet
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fermentation never stopped completely. It just slows down to a crawl about half way, it stays there a week or so. Then starts again at about 2-4 points per week. I just wanted it done a little quicker and with a bit of brett funk. It still took a lot patience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: