Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Probe Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh1800

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Probe Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm having a bit of a sensor issue I'm hoping somebody can suggest where to start correcting it.

I am using a submersible RTD probe:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=46

I brewed two days ago and my control panel worked fine. Today, I cannot get a temperature reading but instead get the "orAL" error indicating a short circuit. The PID reacts the same way regardless of whether the probe is or is not plugged in (shows a series of increasing temperatures followed by the error message).

I've checked all the solder point and wiring and everything looks good. Can anybody suggest what to do next?

Replace the probe?

Also, I went ahead and moistened my grains with 2% water by weight. Since I can't brew today are these garbage?
joe89

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest connecting the probe you suspect to be faulty into another PID this should tell you if the problem is with the PID or the RTD probe
josh1800

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my system only uses a single PID. Any other ideas?
Yo_Pauly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should first check all RTD connections (crimp, solder, screw, etc.) If everything looks good you can use a multimeter to check the resistance. These are Pt100 three wire, correct? Disconnect the probe wiring ( I think there are two reds and a white or is it the other way around?) and measure the resistance between the white and either red (should be somewhere around 110 ohms at room temperature if I understand correctly. Then measure between the wires that are the same color (should be zero ohms.) I don't think the probe is shorted though or else you wouldn't see the temperature increasing before the PID displays the orAL message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: