Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Assistance Needed for 1bbl setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmcint01

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Assistance Needed for 1bbl setup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We have built a 1bbl set using 3 - 55 gallon stainless steel drums. We have followed Kal's design including the forum pages for setups of 30+ gallons or more. We have a HLT that has two 4500 Watt elements in it. The HLT has the 50' stainless coil with a 1/2" ID.
We are having problems with mash temp control. We could control the mash temp on our test batch at all so we tried it again today with just water. We had the HLT set to 157 degree which it was holding perfectly. Our water temp in the mash tun was 148 degrees. We recirculated the Mash tun water thru the coil inside the HLT for at least 30 minutes and the mashtun temp only rose 1 degree to 149. It would occasionally fall back to 148 too. The temp of the water that passed thru the coil and reentered the mash tun was 153 degrees so it was obviously being heated while running through the coil in the HLT. For some reason it was never really heating the water in the mashtun as a whole though. We confirmed the readings of the temp probe were accurate with another thermometer. We had 11 gallons of water in our mashtun.
We had several problems with air bubbles and getting the pump to prime properly. We are using the following pump:
Chugger Stainless Steel Brewing Pump Center Inlet (Comparable to March 809-SS-HS-C)
It has a 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z17DJQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009Z17DJQ&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=UDJJZ4V37KJV5275

We tested the flowrate of the pump directly out of mashtun to be about 3GPM and also running through the 50" stainless steel coil and up to the top of the mashtun as 2GPM. Is it possible we are simply not getting enough flow to heat up the water in the mashtun fast enough? I'm wondering if we should get a pump that has an 8GPM flow rate.

Any ideas would be helpful. Pictures of set up are attached.

Thank you,
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents, If the heat is getting from the HLT and into the tun, then the tun has a lot of cooling area that needs to be addressed. I would insulate the tun and tun cover to hold the heat that is being lost from the large amount of area the 55 gallon vessel has.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'd try insulating the mash tun.

Also, on my system the mash is ~2 cooler than the HLT. I just factor that in for my settings.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the liquid return into the mash tun, do you have a hose that connects to that barbed fitting? If the liquid is streaming through the air as in picture "Mash from test batch.jpg", I think there might be a fair bit of temperature loss there.

I second the recommendation to insulate the mash tun sides and lid. Reflectix might do it. I just have a 1500W element in my 15 gallon HLT, and when I took my rig traveling for a Big Brew Day once, I forgot the HLT lid. The HLT struggled. But I have the HLT insulated with two layers of Reflectix around the barrel circumference and a single layer on the lid, and that works for 1500W and ~14 gallons. Oh, and my MT is a cooler, so it is insulated as well.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
And for the liquid return into the mash tun, do you have a hose that connects to that barbed fitting? If the liquid is streaming through the air as in picture "Mash from test batch.jpg", I think there might be a fair bit of temperature loss there.

I noticed that too and thought the same thing.

Another question just to confirm: Do you leave the lids on the kettles?

The pictures show what appears to be a mash in the mash tun (it's cloudy). Until you resolve heat transfer issues, continue to test with water to ensure you completely remove any flow issues you may have due to crush issues or the false bottom.

The other thing I note is the temperature difference between the HLT and the output of the HERMS coil. While your setup is different, on mine the two temps match which means that heat is transferring as well as it can.

What's the ambient temperature of where you're working? If cold, it could explain cooling too.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pmcint01

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:

I second the recommendation to insulate the mash tun sides and lid. Reflectix might do it. I just have a 1500W element in my 15 gallon HLT, and when I took my rig traveling for a Big Brew Day once, I forgot the HLT lid. The HLT struggled. But I have the HLT insulated with two layers of Reflectix around the barrel circumference and a single layer on the lid, and that works for 1500W and ~14 gallons. Oh, and my MT is a cooler, so it is insulated as well.

Yes, we do have the hose on the mash inlet barb as per Kal's instructions. We just had it off in that picture so we could take a temp reading.

Thanks
pmcint01

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
foomench wrote:

I noticed that too and thought the same thing.

Another question just to confirm: Do you leave the lids on the kettles?

The pictures show what appears to be a mash in the mash tun (it's cloudy). Until you resolve heat transfer issues, continue to test with water to ensure you completely remove any flow issues you may have due to crush issues or the false bottom.

The other thing I note is the temperature difference between the HLT and the output of the HERMS coil. While your setup is different, on mine the two temps match which means that heat is transferring as well as it can.

What's the ambient temperature of where you're working? If cold, it could explain cooling too.

Kal

Kal,

That one mash tun picture was from our initial test batch and not the 2nd run testing with water only.

Ambient temperature is 75-80 degrees F. We get fairly warm summers here.

Thanks,
pmcint01

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We insulated our mash tun yesterday with reflectex and that seemed to help tremendously. We were able to keep the mash temp within 2 degrees of the HLT set point for the entire mash.

Thranks for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Sounds like you were loosing a lot of heat!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: