Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water Profile for Belgian Wit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HbgBill

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Water Profile for Belgian Wit? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I see a lot of profiles for famous cities. Most of what I've read is that these waters are likely to be modified at the brewery.. soon

Wondering if anyone has a profile for a Belgian WitBier

I plan on using RO water and building from there.

I don't sparge.. so t'will be a full boil (30 Liters)

6# Belgian Pils, 3# White Wheat, 1# flaked oats and the spices.

Thanks for any help here..
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed one recently (a few months back) and still need to post the recipe, but here's what I used for water:

Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, S04=70

(Hit minimums on Ca and Mg, keep the Cl:SO4 ratio low and balanced).

Basically the same thing I do with the other non-hoppy recipes I have online here for light lagers, blonde ales, weizen, Kölsch, etc.

For complete details on adjusting your water, see: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/water-adjustment

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
HbgBill

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kai.. that is more in line as to what I was thinking/hoping for. When I saw city profiles, even in the region with HCO3's in the 170-190+ range I was wondering what they did.

You don't say what your HCO3 is.. so, maybe it's also high and has to be dealt with?

I'm planning to use RO water, as mentioned. I think it's profile is something like:

Ca-1; Mg-0; Na-4; SO4-1; Cl-4; HCO3-~16
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My alkalinity (CaCO3) is 32 (low).

The conversion from bicarbonate (as CaCO3) to bicarbonate is to multiply the (as CaCO3) value by 1.22. Yours at 16 is low so the pH should drop easily just like my water.

Kal

HbgBill

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not smart enough to understand the last sentence..

The conversion from bicarbonate to bicarbonate...

Isn't CaCO3 Calcium Carbonate?
HCO3 is bicarbonate?

Thanks for your help.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicarbonate (HCO3 ppm) and alkalinity (CaCO3 ppm) are two different ways to say the same thing. Ez Water Calculator has both. The numbers are not 100% compatible. That last sentence was a cut and paste from somewhere how to convert from one to the other (factor of 1.22 I believe). I admit the sentence is confusing now that I read it again... (I'm not smart enough to explain it either). Wink All I know is that my water's soft and yours is even softer so it doesn't buffer well which is good - pH will change easily as you add grain or salts.

Kal

HbgBill

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kai. checking to see if you found your recipe. I'd be interested. I have found a couple of recipes for future as possibilities.. but I want to get this kit under my belt first. Kits do have their drawbacks. I got this one from AHS and have do disagree with one item on it.. Fermentation temp. Their sheet says to ferm at 72-78*F. Seemed VERY high.. altho, when I checked with Fermentis, the data sheet shows up to 78*F.. but ideally from 59-68*F. I guess that gives quicker turnaround for impatient brewers?

The other thing is.. the recipe calls for no rests... and I understand there should be a Mash In (Acid) between 95* and 104* for about 20 minutes followed by the sacch rest at 150-153*.. then mash out.

Not sure what you did.. but, I now need to start loading it into BeerSmith. Smile

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be posting the recipe in the future, timeframe unknown. Haven't had a chance to get all the text together and tweak it for posting.

Most kits say to ferment high because it's provides the greatest chance of success, but doesn't mean the beer will taste great.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: