Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

question about striafication

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: question about striafication Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
not sure if i spelled that right, but i'm talking about the water sitting at different temps when heated with an electric coil (i've run into this before). see, when i first brewed with an electric kettle (my own frankenstein setup sources mostly from highgravity.com), i checked the temp in my HLT and saw a certain temp, but when i transferred it into my cooler mash tun, the temp was about 15 degrees lower than i had checked. this was because it wasn't all the same temp.

i'm currently setting up a Kal setup... and i'm wondering if ths is going to happen again where my temp probe reads on thing but the "whole" temp is lower than it's reading

thoughts? am i missing something painfully obvious? if so, please ridicule me as you wish but let me know Smile

Tom
Last Full Measure Brewery (yes, i have a name before i actually have a working brewery...damn yankees.)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Not gonna happen!
That's the beautiful part of this design... Well... one of them anyways!

If you build per Kal's recommendations with two pumps you will use one as a Wort Pump, the other as a Water Pump. The HLT is continually circulated and there is no possible way to get stratification this way, as you are pulling water from the bottom of the kettle (passing by the heating element). The temp sensor is in-line on the out-flowing plumbing of the vessel. You will measure the temp of the Hot Liquor just past the output valve of the HLT. This makes for EXTREMELY stable temperatures and VERY accurate temp measurements.

I do wonder though if on your old system maybe a lot of the heat loss you witnessed was parasitic loss from the Mash Tun. If you weren't pre-heating the MLT you would see a huge loss of heat like that.

Kal, if I missed anything here, by all means expand upon the topic.

Last edited by huaco on Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid stratification, our system uses a pump to circulate the water in the HLT Because of the circulation, the temperatures are evened out and the outlet probe will read the proper temperature. Now, whn transferring the water to the mash tun, you need to calculate how much extra heat is needed to compensate for the tun temperature as well as the grain temperature to be able to be at the mash temperature.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben58 wrote:
To avoid stratification, our system uses a pump to circulate the water in the HLT Because of the circulation, the temperatures are evened out and the outlet probe will read the proper temperature. Now, whn transferring the water to the mash tun, you need to calculate how much extra heat is needed to compensate for the tun temperature as well as the grain temperature to be able to be at the mash temperature.

Beat-cha to the punch Ben! lol
Mug
View user's photo album (10 photos)
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i guess i should have read the brew day doc a little more closely.

pretty plain...ugh. commence with the brutalization...Razz
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="huaco"

Beat-cha to the punch Ben! lol
Mug[/quote]
Ah ya bast.... Mug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: