Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

old school, one pot, all grain, fire mashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie-D

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: old school, one pot, all grain, fire mashing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
sometimes its good to go back in history and take a look at what man did way back when.. beer is so easy to make a cave man did it.. LOL.. of course we can get all scientific with it but really beer making is a simple process perfected by thousands of years of development and pursuit.

I was lucky to have the privilege to be the understudy of a very wise old man who worked at our local brew supply house.. he kept telling me that good beer was made in clay pots and on open fires for hundreds of years. don't over complicate the situation.. keep it simple... save money... make good beer for cheap.. were just some of his mottos.. he even taught me how to make an excellent beer using chicken scratch and turbinado cane sugar... this great tasting light beer can be produced for just pennies.. i will post this later in the recipe section.

He also taught me how to mash grain in just 1 pot... for years i have mashed with this old technique with very successful results.. many will argue how can this be.. you need this, you need that, you need blah blah blah.. you really only need one large pot. and a way to heat that pot

Has any one else here mashed old school cave man style???... a style long before mash lauder tuns, hot liquor tanks and sparge arms were invented..

What is your old school caveman style for mashing grains in just one kettle over an open flame.. ALOHA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the Science stops and the Art starts? I am old enough to have seen some of the old ways and some of the newer ways. There is an undeniable charm with the old ways and the results can be quite surprising.
But homebrewing is more than just producing beer. The creation, the experimentation and the development from one batch to the next are also part of the enjoyment. And let's not forget the bragging rights that goes with the "successes". The science allows some level of predictability and, consequently, the possibility to avoid what does not work.
Yes there are some technological toys and gadgets providing questionnable benefits for the users and definite benefits to the seller. Only the users who have tried or otherwise evaluate these devices could asses the benefits. Yes my head spins trying to figure out whether genetically modified yeast is really a necessary evil or could we still play with what we have for a couple more years, decades or centuries without it. But it is a useless concern, I have no more voice in this than in the creation of the genetically modified cereals. I don't even know if the barley we use is the original stuff or it has some glued on genes of unknown benefits.
Regardless, making beer is fun and we should strive to maximize the variety by exploring all type of approaches, old school, modern or futuristic. Cost of making it is only an aspect of the results amongst many other.
Please do share with us your recipes. Many of us will try it and some may even add them to their own collections. But all will respect them as being a wortwhile contribution to world of beer making.
Finally, cave men did not have the internet to allow you from the middle of the Pacific and me from eastern continental North America to exchange messages in just a few minutes. That too enhances the pleasure of beer making and it is another scientific and technological contibution to our ways of living.
Salut

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Luc well said... when i get a little more free time i will explain the one pot grain method... i just finished off a very nice light body stout produced with this one pot style... 9 pouds of 2 row and 1 pound of roasted barley.. one pot... good beer.. it will take me a while to explain the one pot drop... so i will have to do it later.. happy New year Luc..

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out whether genetically modified yeast is really a necessary evil or could we still play with what we have for a couple more years, decades or centuries without it. But it is a useless concern,??
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: