Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Step mash or single infusion for lager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmootsie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Step mash or single infusion for lager? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am about to do my first batch of lager. It will be in the style of a Vienna Lager. My question is should i do a step mash or should i go for a single infusion mash? I am somewhat lost since i have been doing only ales so far and the single infusion mash is working really good.

I will be using Pilsner, Munich and Caramunich malt in the recipe.

All help is appreciated.

Shmootsie
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the malt you're using. Most malts can use a single infusion, but some require or could really benefit from step mashes. What type of pilsner malt is it?

Is it your own recipe? If it's a recipe you found somewhere I would just follow the instructions, as long as your ingredients are the same.
shmootsie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilsner malt and the caramel malt i am using is from weyermann (german) and the recipe i am using is my own. I am making a 12 gallon batch and the malt amounts are these.

Pilsner 17.6lb
Munich 1 1.5lb
Caramunich 2 1.3lb

I was thinking of doing a mash in at 120F and leave it there for 5 minutes and then ramp up to 153F and keep it there until the timer hits 90 minutes and ramp up from there to mash out then and start my 60-90 minute sparge. I dunno if i am in the ballpark with this?
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument against doing a protein rest is that modern malts are fully modified and don't need it. And you might risk breaking down what proteins are left and desirable. For a Vienna, I'd skip it. I doubt you will end up with two much body or head retention, but the downside potential is there.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Smile
I will give it a shot and i will let you know how it ended up.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please let us know. Weyermann is one of those that I'd consider "on the border" when it comes to how well-modified it is, so I'm curious as to how it turns out for you.
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weyermann also has floor malted Pilsner malt that is under-modified. That's on my list to use in a future brew as I hear the flavors are better. I think you'd be fine either way. I made a German Pilsner for my uncle and used a step mash in that and it came out perfect. Hopefully you have a fermentation chamber for lagers.
shmootsie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now 2 fermentation chambers and that's why i wanted try making a lager. Made it 2 days ago so when it is done i will let you guys know how it turned out.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience is your friend with lagers. Ferment for at least 2 weeks, though often 3-4 is better. Then lager for a good 3-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Really depends on lots of factors. Some like to speed through lager fermentation by cranking the temp up after 50% of the fermentation is done, while others wait it out. Then how long you lager has a lot to do with the ABV of the beer. The higher it is, the longer you may want to lager.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
shmootsie

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some waiting here is my first lager. The taste is great and mouth feel is good. The single infusion mash turned out to be a good option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: