Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Using 50A panel for back to back batches

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredBurst

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Using 50A panel for back to back batches Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone used the 50A control panel with 4 heating elements to do back to back batches, by connecting only two of the heating elements (one for bk, one for hlt).

I'm thinking of buying the 50A CP with 4 heating elements so my brewing time is shorter on single batch days, but I also want the ability of doing a back to back batch day. Has anyone done this, or can it be done?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would require a different switch setup as the 50A control panel with 4 heating elements has 1 3-way switch to choose which of the two kettles is on (2 elements max per kettle). The 50A back to back panel has separate on/off switches for each kettle (1 heating element per kettle).

To do this safely you'd need to design a panel that allows:

- 2 heating elements on per kettle (only one kettle at a time)
- 1 heating elemennt on per kettle (both kettles on at the same time)

Doing so would require reworking how the switches work (not sure how this could be done logically and still make it easy to use). To this safely you'd also have to have 4 contactors instead 2 so that two of the 4 heating element receptacles could be disabled when switching to "Back to back mode". Simply hoping that the user remembers to disconnect 2 of the 4 heating elements before switching over is (IMHO) not a safe way to design a setup. Given the extra internal parts required and possibly more switches on the front, you'd probably need a larger enclosure too.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
FredBurst

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Kal!

So, no easy way to do it, then. I just wanted to know which panel to buy, and the pros/cons of each one. I saw that no one had ask that so I went ahead and did. It's good to know that there's a possibility but it requires more time/space.

All I have to do is decide which panel fits my needs best. Tough decision, haha.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this question from time to time. The real way to have a back to back with 4 elements is to build a 100A setup but that's considerably more expensive, and such thick wire makes you rethink how a panels built (very hard to work with). Most people that want both panels combined into one simply end up going with one or the other depending on where the priority is.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin59 did a nice "aftermarket" add-on to his 30A panel to make it a back-to-back panel. I ended getting one of Kal's prebuilt 50A 30+gal panels with the thought that I might be able to do something similar to what Kevin did in the future. Kal brings up some very good space considerations that might prohibit this kind of upgrade to an already crowded 50A panel. But, in the words of dumb and dumber: so you're tellin' me there's a chance! Here's a link to Kevin59's thread on his upgrade:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=306630#306630
Cheers!

Last edited by Creepy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
FredBurst

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's a chance!
I'm gonna go ahead and build a 6'x6' 100A control panel Very Happy

The 50A will have to do, thanks guys
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you got the 50A back-to-back panel, and when you wanted to speed things up, you changed how things were plugged in during the brew, in particular on single batch days? It would change the procedures, but I think this might be feasible. The "booster" element would just be run in manual mode until you got close to the desired temperature. During this time you might even just want to run the primary element in manual as well, because otherwise you would want different PID settings when the element is being run alone vs. with a helper. What you give up over the 50A single batch panel is PID control of two elements.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really think this through so I'm not sure if wiring it is doable, but what about just adding a second 3 way switch?

1st switch: Toggles Element A (Boil) and B (HLT)
2nd switch: Toggles Element C (Boil) and D (HLT)

A&C are tied into the boil PID, B&D obviously tied into the HLT PID. This ensures you never have more than 2 elements on at once.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
I didn't really think this through so I'm not sure if wiring it is doable, but what about just adding a second 3 way switch?

1st switch: Toggles Element A (Boil) and B (HLT)
2nd switch: Toggles Element C (Boil) and D (HLT)

A&C are tied into the boil PID, B&D obviously tied into the HLT PID. This ensures you never have more than 2 elements on at once.

I spent a little more time thinking about this last night, and I think my idea would work. You'd definitely need two more relays though, and probably a bigger enclosure. Using the lettering above, I believe the wiring would be as follows:

HLT PID >> SSR #1 (80A) >> HLT #B Relay >> Element
HLT PID >> SSR #1 (80A) >> HLT #D Relay >> Element
BOIL PID >> SSR #2 (80A) >> Boil #A Relay >> Element
BOIL PID>> SSR #2 (80A) >> Boil #C Relay >> Element

The BOIL & HLT positions on the 3-way switches would then drive the coils on the relays. The 1st switch would go to Relays A&B, and the 2nd switch would go to Relays C&D. This is one instance I'd probably want to have float switches installed to make sure I don't forget what I'm doing with all the switch combination possibilities. You would also need to make sure you used the correct AWG wire of course, and I don't even want to think about what you'd need to do for breakers/fuses.

Am I missing something?

P.S.
After typing it out... yeah, you'd definitely want a bigger enclosure. Two more switches, two more indicator lights, probably another timer, 2 more relays, bigger AWG than in a 30a panel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: