Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Blonde Ale / Premium Lager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geosmashing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I brewed this recipe on February 7th, 2015. It was my 22nd brew, and my very first on my new electric rig. It was also my first all-grain batch ever.

I tried to follow the author's recipe as closely as possible, however there were some, uh, deviations:

- I did not use a Campden tablet
- I did not use brewing salts or make any pH adjustments to my tap water
- My home-made hop filter clogged and I couldn't use my chiller, so I let the beer cool overnight in the kettle

Despite these small setbacks, the beer turned out great. It turns out both my boil-off rate and my efficiency are a bit lower than Kal's. I calculated my boil-off to be 1.6 gallons per hour, and my efficiency at 90%. I use a copper manifold instead of a false bottom, so I was expecting performance differences. I'm still really happy with 90% and it's been consistent in subsequent batches.

Notes:
OG 1.046
No chill
Aerated well and pitched US-05 dry
Primary for 15 days @ 70-72 F
Transferred to secondary for 5 days
FG 1.009
Crash cooled to 40 F, added gelatin
3 days later, kegged
Force carbed

After just one day in the keg this beer tasted great! I suspect it's a little more bitter than intended due to the fact that I couldn't use my counterflow chiller. It also has some chill haze, which I don't mind. It certainly has a bit of ale character, which makes sense as it was fermented a bit warm.

I'm really happy with how this batch turned out. The beer is slightly grainy, slightly sweet, and has lots of nice, fresh, almost minty bitterness.

Cheers!

Last edited by Geosmashing on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! The chill haze will subside after a couple of weeks in the keg. The beer will also be better after 2-4 weeks at near freezing temps.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about them in a HBT post, I decided to buy some Huell Melon hops and want to design a beer that will showcase them well. Everything I read suggests that these are really mild and best used late. Some brewers report being underwhelmed by the characteristic melon/strawberry notes these hops are supposed to have, but the amounts added always seem too light.

I was going to try these out in a pale ale, backed up with some El Dorado and Amarillo, but then I thought what if I used these solo in a blonde ale recipe, but was a bit more heavy handed than the other brewers had been?

For a 7 gallon batch, I'm thinking of doing NO bittering addition, 3 oz in a 30 min whirlpool at 180F, and 1 oz dry. Beersmith is calculating this at 22.8 IBUs.

Has anyone tried out a fruity/tropical-ish hop as a late addition (and in volume) in a blonde ale, and were the results any good?
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

The Huell Melon hops were very much underwhelming in my blonde. I couldn't tell what if any character they added. The beer was good, but unremarkable.

Today I'm brewing another variation on the original blonde recipe with a few changes for fun.

78% pilsner malt, 17% white wheat, 4% golden light DME (to bring up gravity for the my volume target, I don't have as much base malt as I want)

1 oz Hallertau + 0.5 oz Saaz for 18.5 IBU

WLP 320

Estimated OG 1.047.
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in using this recipe but I want to add fresh raspberries. I'm considering a 5 gal batch. Most recipes I see say to add fruit to the secondary however I'm using a conical so I believe I'd just add the berries after the second week. Should I add the berries to a secondary to lager? How long should I leave them in? I can just rack to a keg after an acceptable period and continue to lager?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFITZ wrote:
I'm interested in using this recipe but I want to add fresh raspberries. I'm considering a 5 gal batch. Most recipes I see say to add fruit to the secondary however I'm using a conical so I believe I'd just add the berries after the second week. Should I add the berries to a secondary to lager? How long should I leave them in? I can just rack to a keg after an acceptable period and continue to lager?

Not sure I've never brewed with fruit. Hopefully someone who has can assist. Good luck!

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the ale recipe version to the letter...Having made other errors in previous tries, I'm wondering if a slight "tartness/sour" aftertaste was normal. The flavor isn't like anything described in Palmer's book, and I was curious if the S-05 may impart that flavor in such a lite beer?

I don't have any SG measurements ( Embarassed ), but I am upping my record keeping game for all ensuing batches!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
Followed the ale recipe version to the letter...Having made other errors in previous tries, I'm wondering if a slight "tartness/sour" aftertaste was normal. The flavor isn't like anything described in Palmer's book, and I was curious if the S-05 may impart that flavor in such a lite beer?

What wort fermentation temperature did you use?
How long since it was kegged / bottled / conditioned? Can you tell us a bit more about the timeline?
Also let us know what you did differently compared to the recipe and process above. If you took pH measurements, let us know what those were.
What's the water like that you used? What did you do to the water?

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68 degree fermentation throughout

Crash chilled to 34-35 degrees 2-3 days, kegged, then put under CO2 at 10psi for 2 weeks at 35 degrees

No changes to the original recipe/process (other than not mashing out)

No additions to city water (I have the profile somewhere)

added 1 ml lactic acid to the mash to get 5.6 pH, and another 1 ml lactic acid to the sparge to get it to 6.0 pH

I made sure the final sparge water had cooled (can't remember just how much) to avoid tannins
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing sounds odd.

Could be the water. It's a lighter tasting beer, so the water came possibly show through. I had similar issues with some of my beers very early on before doing any water adjustments. Keep in mind however that all water's different so what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Your carb level should give you around 2.5-2.6 volumes of CO2 which is fine so it shouldn't be astringency due to overcarb'ing. Over-carb'ing can sometimes make it taste tart or astringent due to a carbonic bite.

Weyermann Pilsner Malt isn't as 100% clean tasting as most north american 2-row I find. It has a slight bready/cracker taste to it which many like (including myself, which is why I often use it for a beer like this). I'm assuming it's not that you're tasting.

Leave it near freezing for another few weeks and let us know. Things can and often do mellow.

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, as always kal, thanks for the feedback Mug
dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to make a nice summer beer. Kal, what do you like better? The blonde ale/premium lager vs the updated blonde ale (cream ale recipe with pilsner malt)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dward4421 wrote:
I'm looking to make a nice summer beer. Kal, what do you like better? The blonde ale/premium lager vs the updated blonde ale (cream ale recipe with pilsner malt)

That's really up to you and what you're after - both are good beers. If you prefer something lighter tasting, go for the Standard Lager instead of Premium Lager.

Now that said, I'm not sure what you mean by "updated" blonde ale (cream ale recipe with pilsner malt) as the cream ale doesn't use pils malt.

Per the descriptions the Cream Ale/Standard Lager is a crisp, clean tasting beer. It has slightly less malt flavour than the Blonde Ale/Premium Lager as it uses less grainy tasting Domestic 2-row instead of Pilsner malt.

Both are great. Good luck!

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, updated probably wasn't the right word. I was referring to one of your old posts. I was just wondering how this turned out:
So I brewed this Blonde Ale yesterday and this is the second time I've made the following changes:

1. Used 10% regular table sugar to help dry it out a bit more, hopefully bringing the FG down to 1.006 - 1.007.

2. Reduced the OG from 1.048 down to 1.044 to compensate for item #1 above as I want this to still be around 5% ABV.

3. Used American Crystal hops for a different taste. Crystal are Mild, and almost 'Noble' if an American hop can be considered noble. To quote Beer Tools Pro: "Used mainly for its aroma which is mild and pleasant".

4. A touch of CarapilsŪ/CarafoamŪ for mouthfeel.

So it's almost like our Cream Ale recipe, actually quite close, just still with Weyermann Pilsner malt instead of 2-row.

It's fermenting now.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! Either is great. Really up to you and what you're after. Whichever you brew, let us know how it turns out!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So brewing this recipe for the inaugural run on the electric setup. Had a yeast question as I've never used dry yeast. Always used liquid with a starter. Is 24g right for 12 gallons? I bought 4 x 11.5g packets of 05 just in case. thx!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If brewing the ale version and using reasonably fresh yeast (at least not expired) then yes, 24g is adequate. If in doubt, you can always use more. Yeast pitch rates are a highly argued subject - it's rare to find two brewers that agree!

Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal - I realize I'm overthinking this.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there a range listed for the original gravity for this beer (1.046 - 1.056)? When entering the grain bill in Brewer's Friend, I get a 1.054 OG. When compared to the Electric Pale Ale, that one has a fix OG and the number from Brewer's Friend matches what you've got listed. I assume that this is to account for a variation in fermentable sugar between different grain suppliers or s there some other explanation?

Thanks,

Stephane
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaillet wrote:
Why is there a range listed for the original gravity for this beer (1.046 - 1.056)?

Hi! Sorry for the confusion. In the recipe the numbers after the targets are the BJCP style range:

Original Gravity: 1.048 (1.046 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 3.1 (2.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 5.1% (4.6% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 19 (15.0 - 25.0)

So in this case the target OG is 1.048, but a Blonde Ale is 1.046 to 1.056 for it to be considered a Blonde Ale by BJCP style guidelines. I list the target followed by the range so that you see where it fits in the style.

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: