Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brew room

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Brew room Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My setup is finally done and I have ran a few brews through it. I am amazed at how easy things went in both brews. My brewing experience with my propane set was much different. Hitting my OG was hit and miss at best. All the numbers in these first 2 brews were right on the money.

Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice!
Tyl012

Drinking: Pale Ale, brown porter, white whea, Irish red

Working on: Blonde, Pliny The Elder clone,

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Awesome setup! I really like the hood.
Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That looks great. Love the dark wood accents.

I agree, Kal's setup makes it easy. It becomes more about the beer and less about the process.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet setup you have. Do you have a picture of the rest of that room?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! Would you mind if I posted it on our testimonials page with the text from your first post?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great! Now we need more detail, Do tell.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work - what is that hose attached to the back wall behind your brew stand? Is that a pot filler with a water hose of some kind?
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I love it! Would you mind if I posted it on our testimonials page with the text from your first post?

Kal

Hey Kal,

I would be honored to have this featured in the testimonials section.

Thanks,

Tom
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
Great work - what is that hose attached to the back wall behind your brew stand? Is that a pot filler with a water hose of some kind?

Yes, it is a pot filler. I only use it for chilling the wort though. My tap water is not suitable for brewing unfortunately so I use RO water right now. I have plumbed it so that I can hook it up to the HERMS coil and use the HLT as a pre chiller for the summer months when the ground water is a bit warmer. Right now I just run it right to the chiller and with 52 deg ground water I have been chilling 5 gal in less than 6 minutes. I also, hard plumbed the exhaust water from the chiller into the side of the sink.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guzzler wrote:
I would be honored to have this featured in the testimonials section.

Thanks!

I added a second photo you had in your account with the taps so that others could see that too up close. Nice work!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shot of pretty much the whole room:

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/ThomasO5608/IMG_0231_zpsrotogzwf.mp4
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

Question - Is your CFC mounted horizontally?
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaWineSnob wrote:
Nice work!

Question - Is your CFC mounted horizontally?

Yes it is. Here is a close up of it.
image=
bigirishape

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me a bit more about how you're venting, how you made that nice hood, and what size blower you have? It looks awesome and I'd love to replicate it if possible... Thanks!
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigirishape wrote:
Can you tell me a bit more about how you're venting, how you made that nice hood, and what size blower you have? It looks awesome and I'd love to replicate it if possible... Thanks!

I kind of went cheap with the hood. I made an inner liner from 3/4 2 sided grey melamine and siliconed all the joints I then made an outer frame so that the corrigated steel would slip in. I used the same fan that Kal recommends and it sits above the liner and I can access it by removing a section of the corrigated steel. I also wrapped the fan in insulation to cut down on noise and to keep any condensation from forming on the outside of it. I only have about 3' max of piping from the top of the fan to where it exits the house so if it is really cold outside I get a bit of cold penetration. I think I could upgrade my vent cover outside as it does not seal off that well when the fan is off.
I also put super low profile LED lights on the front edge of the inside. They came in 12" sections and I put 5 of them in there. I siliconed all the joints and ends. Hopefully they will hold up.
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! I'd be interested to see more photos of your kegerator if you happen to have some. Looks similar to the generic plans I have in my head. I'm curious to see what you did there. Looks great all around!
Guzzler

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy wrote:
Nicely done! I'd be interested to see more photos of your kegerator if you happen to have some. Looks similar to the generic plans I have in my head. I'm curious to see what you did there. Looks great all around!

The kegerator was pretty easy. I found a used refrigerator on Craigslist. I knew that the Amana bottom freezer model would hold 6 kegs with the Co2 stored on the outside. I had an extra piece of Coran left over from something else so I cut that to fit the bottom because the weight of the kegs is a bit too much for the bottom of the fridg. I build the wood panels to cover the front and wrapped the wood around the edges and that is where I fastend the panels to the refrigerator door. If you only go about 3/8" thick with those sides the function with out impeding the function of the door. I bought the stainless drip tray online (I can find that link if you want it) the taps are Perlick 650ss. They are a little pricy but the quality is really nice. Right now I have 2 3 gang distribution bars all on the same regulator. I plan to split things up at least once as I'm sure I will want different keg pressures . I just haven't figured all that out yet. I drilled the hole for the Co2 through the back so that I could pull out the fridg if I want to. Going through the side in my particular situation would necessitate removing the hose to pull out the fridg. I was very carful to drill threw the plastic only going from the inside out for the Co2 line. I modified a spade bit so that the center point would barely penetrate the plastic. After I removed the plastic I used a small screw driver to remove the insulation all the way to the back so that I could see a clear shot all the way through so that I could drill the back out. I was lucky enough not to land on top of a cooling line.
Here re some pics. Let me know if you have any other questions
Image=
Image=
Image=
Image=
Image=
Image=

I painted the panel above in a magnetic chalk board paint so that I can use it as a menu for the kegerator
Image=
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great kegerator build! I've seen some upright freezers out there that I think would fit 10-12 kegs total with a sturdy shelf in the middle. I'm hoping to do something similar. My big concern is hitting that coolant line while drilling for the CO2... quite a gamble, but glad it paid off for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: