Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sous Vide cooking

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunamiBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Sous Vide cooking Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone considered the fact that we have build really big sous vide cookers?

Any stories of people with a mash tun full of stakes?

Just a thought.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha... I hadn't thought of that, but it is amusing!

When I showed my Italian coworker pictures of Kal's brewery so she could understand what I meant when I said I was planning a home brewery in the basement, her immediate response was: "Oh I could make sauce down there!"

... the first part I buy for my brewery will be a lock.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sous Vide cooking Reply with quote

TsunamiBrewing wrote:

Any stories of people with a mash tun full of stakes?

Just a thought.

Interesting idea actually. My son is in the process of throwing together a DIY sous vide setup based on a Crockpot with a controller. I was going to build the same controller in parallel just in case he had questions come up (he's in VA and I'm in CO). But yeah all we'd need is a grate to keep the bags above the element in the BK and we'd be good to go. One big old sous vide cooker!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better yet, throw the bags in the MLT and recirculate the hot water through the HLT like you would during the mash. Only difference is we are steeping food instead of grains. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sous Vide cooking Reply with quote

TsunamiBrewing wrote:

Can't remember if it was here or on homebrewtalk, but yes, you can sous vide no problems on these electric setups.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, done it..

Mine and the Mini Brew system I built fo my kids can and are used a sous vide appliances.. steak at the perfect temp everytime. attached is a photo of my son adding a little " color" to his 133 degree steak..

Silverspoons

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.09 KB
 Viewed:  25096 Time(s)

image.jpg

Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
Yes, done it..

Mine and the Mini Brew system I built fo my kids can and are used a sous vide appliances.. steak at the perfect temp everytime. attached is a photo of my son adding a little " color" to his 133 degree steak..

Silverspoons

Nice! Is that a propane torch of some kind?
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to throw my steaks into the HLT. I figured they would float above the heating element, put perhaps some experimentation or a guard are in order, or I suppose I could use the MT.

Drinking: Pale Ale, brown porter, white whea, Irish red

Working on: Blonde, Pliny The Elder clone,

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a waste of good meat ha! Cross
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin59 wrote:
silverspoons wrote:
Yes, done it..

Silverspoons

Nice! Is that a propane torch of some kind?

Its an attachment you put on a propane torch.. its call SEARZALL.. he got it through a contribution to Kickstarter. It creates 15,000 BTUs

Silverspoons
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually cooked steak in my brewery before I even brewed beer! It's a great way to use the water you are heating up while performing a leak check! Plus it's a great reason to have a celebratory dinner for completing suck an awesome build! I've also smoked brisket for about 5 hours and bagged them in vacuum bags finishing them in the mash tun for about 16 hours...
View user's photo album (10 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briskets:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wz6k6dxvhuuwa4e/2013-05-01%2023.56.09%20%28Copy%29.jpg?dl=0
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn those briskets look good Craig!!!
Tyl012

Drinking: Pale Ale, brown porter, white whea, Irish red

Working on: Blonde, Pliny The Elder clone,

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that sounds good^^!!
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I smoke stuff, but there is always the risk of overheating and drying out the meat. You smoke for long enough to get the flavor from that, but don't overheat, then throw into the sous vide to actually finish the cooking.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... meat will only accept smoke up to about an internal temp of around 140°F (I think). after that, it's all just cooking. That point is usually somewhere around the 4-5 hour mark on a 225°F smoker with a couple of briskets. Take em off, and bag them ASAP before they start pushing juices out too much. It's kind of a bear to get the bags sealed but it helps to have another set of hands to help out. After that, I throw them in the MLT with enough water to cover and start pumping through the HERMS with a set point of 170°F for about 15-16 hours. Best part is, you can smoke the day before a meal... pull em out of the water and un-bag them. You can pat them dry and put a little rub on and kiss em with a torch. The meat won't have that hard bark on it but man-oh-man... is it smokey and TENDER!
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my system for sous vide too. So far I've done lamb shoulder, beef shoulder, porchetta, risotto and yesterday eggs. All of this has been in the MLT. Some meats will start out sinking and later float. Eggs I hang in what is effectively a large tea-ball. I'm mostly working out of the Modernist Cuisine books.

Great idea Huaco, to get smoke on the meat then finish sous vide. My smoker requires feeding it wood (not like a traeger), so that would save a lot of trouble. Could be good for storage too.

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of retrofitting a medium size cooler with quick release fittings and bulkhead ports for sous vide. I have used the HLT and MLT, but with the size of my kettles (30 gallon), that's quite a bit of water. The insulation of the cooler may also conserve energy.

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: