Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water Profile Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Besk one

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Water Profile Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Question, the EZ Water spreadsheet is great but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Starting Water Profile:

Ca: 24
Mg: 11
Na: 50
Cl: 70
So4: 42
Alkalinity: 87

13.6 LB Grain (5 gallon batch)

Mash Salts:

CaSO4: 6g

Lactic Acid: 2ml

Estimated Mash PH: 5.53

Mash Water Profile:

Ca: 109
SO4: 250

That's pretty close to the Ideal Pale Ale numbers, but am I targeting EZ Waters Mash Profile, or the Mash + Sparge profile, which is much lower all the way around and looks like this:

Ca: 57
SO4: 122

Thoughts? I'm a bit confused at the moment. Drunk
Besk one

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I unchecked the Sparge additions checkboxes to hit the above.

Which if i leave checked the profiles come out the same. I've answered that question myself it seems.

So... never mind that part, does the rest of the profile look ok? I know the Na is higher but I don't want to have to go out and buy RO water to cut this with if I don't have to.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besk one wrote:
does the rest of the profile look ok? I know the Na is higher but I don't want to have to go out and buy RO water to cut this with if I don't have to.

Yes, it all looks good, and the Na is fine.

Here's a good reference (Palmer) for "tolerable" ranges on the different ions that impact brewing. It's not completely defining but it's a nice reference page to save: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: