Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Aluminum Exhaust Hood

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Exhaust Hood Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I wanted to go the route of the exhaust hood from Fast Kitchen Hood (like Kal's) for the "blingy" effect and known effectiveness. However, when I got a quote for almost $1,300 I began to think of alternatives. When I told my brother and his friend my dilemma, his friend said he could build one out of aluminum for me (works in a machine shop). Sounds like he can make it the size I need, with a channel to drain, and keep the cost pretty reasonable.

Any thing I should be concerned about in using Aluminum? Do you have a suggested minimum wall thickness for the aluminum?
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any material you want. It will never get hot because all it's doing is catching the steam so the fan can pull it out. Make sure you hook this dude up with some good home brew Mug

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I sort of figured. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing in relation to aluminum corroding.

Yeah, plan to hook him up with something as soon as the brewery is ready.
J-Brosky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see there is a lot of condensation forming on the inside surface you will eventually get some pitting of the aluminum, and a white corrosion product (oxide) will form given enough time. I would recommend applying a primer and enamel to the inside surface if you are at all concerned. Do you know what type of alloys your friend can get? Not all alloys are created equal. Different alloys and tempers will have different corrosion resistance properties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: