Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtc352

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just built the 50A control panel. When I turned it on, everything seems to work except my wort pump. My Water pump "On (Green light) stays on whether the pump is on or off. I am certain that the two issues are related but cannot find anything wrong with my wiring. Anyone have any ideas?
luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump circuit is the simplest part of the control panel by far. The wort pump switch could theoretically be bad (although unlikely). You can always disconnect the switch and test it with a multimeter. Does it work if you have the water pump switch turned on?

There must be something wrong with your wiring. Double check that you have the neutral connected to each of the four components (two outlets, and two lights) and that your hot goes to the hot side of each switch, and then the "switched hot" goes to the hot side of the light and the outlet. There is no way for your water pump outlet to switch on/off and have the light remain on without it being miswired.

Sometimes it's hard to double check something you have done yourself... you could disconnect all the wires from the switches, lights, and outlets and trace/reconnect the wires one by one thinking about the current path logically as you do it. That makes it harder to pass over any mistakes.

I'm trying to draw a simple mistake that would result in the behaviour you are describing - I will let you know if I come up with something Wink
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the pump work when switched to the other pump outlet? If no, pump needs to be checked out.
If yes, are you getting power to the wort outlet? if no look at your wiring again. If the light does not work it may be the wrong voltage light or a bad light. You will need to do a start to finish check of your wiring and all components.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having issues uploading the image I just drew (at work, computer is blocking the upload)... but could you have swapped the connections of the "wort pump switch input" and the "water pump light hot"? (it looks better in my drawing...) That would result in the water pump light staying on regardless of the switch position, and the wort pump only working if the water pump switch is turned on (unsure if that is the behaviour or not, but it is a place to look)
gtc352

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what happened. I was going thru my wiring for the fourth time when I noticed it. All seems to be working now and I'm like a kid on Christmas. Thanks for the quick responses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: