Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Suggestions for additonal component on door

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordofthePings

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for additonal component on door Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am currently working on the wiring for my system but would like some suggestions. Long story short: I drilled an extra hole and punched it with the 22mm punch on the door of my system. I relocated to volt and amp meters to where the sign is usually located, moved the sign to the top middle, but I am left with this extra hole near the power light and key switch. My plan was to purchase another metal sign "assembled by: me on such and such date" or something like that. Before I commit, I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions for components or lights or button that might be useful to place in that location. Perhaps just a novelty? If not I will go back to patching it up with the sign and sealing it up with silicone, but I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did an extra two holes for either a third pump or a three-way switch to change the input sensor for the mash PID. was thinking i put another RTD-100 sensor on the output of my cfc or on input of BK and then when the mash was not being used i could flip the input on it. I have not rested on a final choice yet....
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture? I'm not skilled enough with my imagination to picture it... Haha
LordofthePings

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can move the power switch and blue light around between those 3 holes, but here it is!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  527.19 KB
 Viewed:  13167 Time(s)

image.jpg

ChukInaTruk

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always add a second power light. Wouldn't look bad.

Chuck

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a red light with a label that says "Self Destruct"

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big emergency button that says "do not press". When you press it, strobe lights and disco music start playing... You could even have dancers come out and champagne start spraying everywhere. Maybe confetti?
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the self destruct button!

These guys have rubber plugs for "open" holes.
You could put one of those joysticks in there I suppose and label it up and down. Very Happy

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/plasticjoysticks.pdf
PSUSkier

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that may be a good location for an emergency disconnect button. Just wire it in the path of the key switch and you can kill power to the panel in the event of an emergency by slapping the big red button.
Nimbus3000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Extra hole in panel door Reply with quote

Cheapest fix would be to go down to the local hardware store and buy a 7/8" black hole plug. Snaps right into the hole and blends right in. Should not cost more than a buck or two.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your kettle layout doesn't need to be right to left (ie Boil <-- MLT <-- HLT), then you could change a bunch of stuff around. Reverse the orientation of the PIDs & timer, move the alarm stuff to the left as well. Put the power keyswitch where the buzzer currently is, move the alarm light to the 2nd row leftmost position, and put in 2 power LEDs in the leftover holes which should be on both sides of your sign.

That was probably super confusing! Here's what I meant for the top two "rows" of the panel:

Buzzer > Power LED > Sign > Power LED > Keyswitch
Alarm Light > Reset > Element On > 3 way switch > Element On

I know that means a lot of wiring changes though, and I don't like the idea of having the power switch so far from the hinges, but it's just a little extra work. Just an idea!

Quote:
a red light with a label that says "Self Destruct"

Or this. Especially if it's one of those illuminated metal pushbuttons that is wired up to nothing (or is it!?)... those things look awesome.

Cheers.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a self-destruct button needs a cover so you don't accidentally destroy the world:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFQX0D6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CFQX0D6&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=LN3E4XLZKLLVVTWH

Although I'm not sure if that will fit next to the handle.

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you decide against the self-destruct button, you could put a switch in to turn the meters on and off. It is not necessary, but neither are the meters, so it could serve a valid function. Would be easy to wire up and would give your hole a purpose.
LordofthePings

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the suggestions, although the disco lights might be too advanced for me. A working self destruct button would be interesting...
I am looking at the emergency stop switches since they would be easy to wire in. The plug would be cheap if all else fails. I'll post a pic once I've decided and implemented. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: