Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

1/2ing voltage to 5500 watt element by flipping breaker....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: 1/2ing voltage to 5500 watt element by flipping breaker.... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Could i just dial down the voltage of a 240v 5500w heating element by turning off 1 of the 2 120 circuits at the box that feed into it? does this hurt anything? Would I be having the BTU's? Is it a linear relationship? would the amperage stay the same? Thanks a bunch! I am a noob when it comes to electricity.

Also as a thought experiment if i got a variable transformer where i can step the voltage down, is that effectively just putting a fader on the heating element? Is this all sound / doable?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/2ing voltage to 5500 watt element by flipping breaker Reply with quote

morrillt wrote:
Could i just dial down the voltage of a 240v 5500w heating element by turning off 1 of the 2 120 circuits at the box that feed into it?

No. It won't work at all. You need the loop closed for current flow and the heating element to run.

For more information on how 120/240V electricity works, see our "Supply Power" section of the control panel build instructions here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=3

Quote:
Also as a thought experiment if i got a variable transformer where i can step the voltage down, is that effectively just putting a fader on the heating element? Is this all sound / doable?

Yes. You can use a variac (a fancy adjustable step down transformer). I would expect 30A variacs to be expensive however.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal your the man.

When people talk about heating at 40% duty cycle (saw this in another link) what the heck are they talking about? Are they doing some sort of variac shenanigans?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty cycle is a set amount of time, typically 2 seconds.

40% duty cycle means the element is on at 100% of that 2 second time, then completely off for the rest. Repeat.
In other words, on at 100% for 0.8 seconds, off for 1.2 seconds, repeat.

This is the way PIDs work. For complete details on this, see here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=11

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I in NO WAY condone the fabrication of, or use of this DIY Variac (or Scariac) as the video creator calls it, but it is a hell of a cool gizmo! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UjxG8sN1c
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
I in NO WAY condone the fabrication of, or use of this DIY Variac (or Scariac) as the video creator calls it, but it is a hell of a cool gizmo! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UjxG8sN1c

Well that was fun to watch! Smile

Somehow the thing I found most interesting in his build were the two drywall screws through the Romex to secure it to the back of the board...

Last edited by Kevin59 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (6 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the guy is usually on the up-and-up on most of his projects and methods. However, this one is SCARY!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides all the impracticalities of cutting to 120V, it wouldn't cut the power in half, but to 1/4 of the original amount. P = V^2 / R
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
Besides all the impracticalities of cutting to 120V, it wouldn't cut the power in half, but to 1/4 of the original amount. P = V^2 / R

True. Run a 240V element at 120V and you get 1/4 the power. So a 240V/5500W element becomes a 1375W element.

I don't think that's what he was originally asking however (unless I'm mistaken). morrillt: I thought you were asking if you could flip one of the 2 breakers on a 240V double pole breaker feeding the element to lower the wattage? That's what my original response assumed. You need to close the loop for any current to flow at all which means both breakers have to be open - which is usually why they're ganged together so that both have to be either on or off as shown in the picture below on the right:

If you meant creating some sort of switching setup to be able to choose between 120V and 240V then foomench is right - you'll get 1/4 the power. 1375W isn't enough to boil more than 2-3 gallons or so.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wiigian

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1/2ing voltage to 5500 watt element by flipping breaker Reply with quote

morrillt wrote:
Could i just dial down the voltage of a 240v 5500w heating element by turning off 1 of the 2 120 circuits at the box that feed into it? does this hurt anything? Would I be having the BTU's? Is it a linear relationship? would the amperage stay the same? Thanks a bunch! I am a noob when it comes to electricity.

You could use one of these:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=353
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Read this thread here first to make sure you're ok with the downsides of using a simplified control like this (I wasn't but YMMV):

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27722

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: