Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

High Gravity Wheat Beer, limited ingredients...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: High Gravity Wheat Beer, limited ingredients... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I want to make a wheat beer with coriander and orange peel thats between 6.5-8% ABV.

I Live in south america and have limited access to ingredients, but I do have a nice Electric Herms!

I am brewing tomorrow afternoon, and need help on ingredient selection I already have the malted wheat, but aside from that, this is what I have access to:

Malts
Cebada Pilsen
Cebada Caramelo
Cebada Chocolate
Cebada Black

Hopps
Ahtanum Hop Pellets 1 oz
Summit Hop Pellets 1 oz
Chinook Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Crystal Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Czech Saaz Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Hallertau Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Opal Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Perle Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Saphir Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Select Hop Pellets 1 oz.
German Tettnang Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Hop Head Farms Cascade Pellet Hops 1 oz.
Millennium Hop Pellets 1 oz
Safale S-33 Ale Yeast
Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

YEAST
Danstar Belle Saison Yeast
Danstar CBC-1 Conditioning Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast
Muntons Ale Yeast
Safale S-04 Ale Yeast
UK Admiral Hop Pellets 1 oz.
UK Fuggle Hop Pellets 1 oz.
US Northern Brewer Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Willamette Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Coopers Ale Yeast
Danstar American
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Tettnang and been happy with the results.

Also here's a hop substitution chart you might find useful:

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Happy Brewing!

Kevin
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.5-8% is pretty high. What kind of style of wheat beer are you aiming for? An imperial Wit / Hefe? Or something else?

With the comments on the spices I would assume a wit, but you don't really have any wit yeasts like WLP400, Wyeast 3944 or "maybe" T-58 (not quite the same). You could sort of go Belgian to some degree with the S-33 or go American (cleaner tasting) with the Us-05.

A wheat beer is never 100% wheat so you'll want to mix in some 2-row, or pils malt in your case.

Hops are usually low and neutral, 60 min addition.

Really depends on where you want to go with this... No right or wrong answers here.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I dont have that much experience with the permutations of wheat beer subtypes, I just know that I always like them. Its true I dont have the classic yeasts, can you recommend a good higher gravity beer that I can make with these limited ingredients? Even if I cant use the wheat Smile Doing my first brew tomorrow!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got lots of different hops/yeasts/grains there, so your possibilities are somewhat limitless. Sort of like asking what sort of painting you can paint with an available set of paint colours - there's really not any one answer that's better than another.

I would start looking around at recipes for beers you like and see what fits with the ingredients you have.

You can start with the recipes we have here:

www.theelectricbrewery.com/recipes

Good luck!

Kal

morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Fair enough... Smile The brown ale looks tasty... http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25123

I dont have
2.0 lb CarapilsŪ/CarafoamŪ (7.8%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, OBK)
2.0 lb Crystal Malt 40°L (7.8%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, OBK)

just add bit more "Caramel" to compensate?

Just "caramel" of an unknown lovebond

Nore do I have centenial or cascae but we do have summit and amarallo (both are subs on hop sub chart) any recs for which i should sub for which? The recipe calls for a dry hopping of the centennial.....

Best
huaco

Since you are going with coriander and orange peel, give serious consideration to adding Chamomile as well at flame-out! I've personally had this combination in a Witbier and the three of those ingredients play EXTREMELY well together when combined with the slight sweetness of the Wheat. A word of caution though... a little Chamomile goes a LONG way!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
morrillt

Sounds Fair enough... Smile The brown ale looks tasty... http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25123

I dont have
2.0 lb CarapilsŪ/CarafoamŪ (7.8%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, OBK)
2.0 lb Crystal Malt 40°L (7.8%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, OBK)

just add bit more "Caramel" to compensate?

Just "caramel" of an unknown lovebond

Nore do I have centenial or cascae but we do have summit and amarallo (both are subs on hop sub chart) any recs for which i should sub for which? The recipe calls for a dry hopping of the centennial.....

Best
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use wheat instead of carapils.
Use your Caramel in place of the Crystal 40. Hopefully your caramel's somewhat middle of the road.
Amarillo will replace Cascade (more or less).
Centennial's somewhat special. Amarillo kind of works, but I'd go with summit just to mix things up.

Don't use the original spices you wanted to use. (At least I wouldn't)

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin59 wrote:
I have used Tettnang and been happy with the results.

Also here's a hop substitution chart you might find useful:

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Happy Brewing!

Kevin

Man I would have sworn that when I posted the above the OP said something about a substitution for Hallertau hops, with a goal of making something like a Sunshine Wheat... Question

Apparently I (a) didn't have enough coffee this morning and/or (b) need to get a head start on my week off for Christmas by heading out for a beer...
View user's photo album (6 photos)
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your spices and wheat make me think you could make something with that saison yeast. I'm guessing you can ferment pretty warm, which is a requirement for that yeast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: