Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Amp and Volt Meters

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Amp and Volt Meters Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am having a hard time finding the Minlin Amp & Volt Meter in the same color. I have found the same Amp meter, but the Volt meter is a different story. Any help would be appreciated.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
bltreece

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I too am having a ridiculous time sourcing matching blue panel meters. I have checked with Sure Electronics and they assure me that they do not sell both, just the amp meter. EBay appears to be the same way. That of course is because I was looking specifically for the MINLIN meters. So I decided to go with something else by Giorgio11185 which you can see here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370412413897?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Link updated to support our site at no extra cost to you - thank you!

They are the only decent looking meters that match I can find. They problem to put it nicely....they are crap. The voltage bounces so bad to the point they are unusable...I would not recommend them. Basically I think it comes down to them having a poor circuit design which is not noise immune.

All this to ask.....for those of your sourcing parts on your own, have you been able to source matching blue panel meters? Any help is super appreciated as this tiny thing has been a MAJOR pain in my side. Thanks!
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my meters from here. They are blue, but I haven't powered them up yet. http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/more/meters-more.html
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the matching panel meters I bought.
I have not powered them up, as I am not to that stage in my build.
I did also paid $40 in freight and another $12 for a voltage divider, which he later said I had to have also. Mine are red and not blue because I fail to specify a color. I did see in a post somewhere that Kal said the Volt meter just needed to read over 240 volts so I may have been able to save $12 and some room in the control box. The voltage divider is a separate item that they built inside the shell of another meter. I will have to figure out how to mount it to a inside wall somewhere. Here is the company and his contact info. He was really great to deal with. Now if you need some quick response, email him around 9pm. I will try to post some pictures later. As of now I do not regret my purchase, they look good, they match, and the specs were well documented. Hope this helps.

See pictures here ----> https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7532ODWGALo7c

Philip Chen
Sales Manager
XIELI
Shaanxi XIELI Photo Electric Instrument Co., Ltd.
Address: No.2 Xinke Rd.,
Xian 710043, Shaanxi, CHINA
Tel: 0086-133 7954 7761 Fax:0086-29-84023638
Email: philipchen@xieli-china.com philip1068@gmail.com

Volt & Amp panel meters:

Specifications:
1.700VAC meter
Model NO.: XL5135V-6
Power supply: 5VDC [isolation module]
Measure range: AC700V
Resolution: 1V
Display: ultra-bright LED
Dimension: w79mm x h42mm x d26mm
Mounting hole: w76mm x h39mm
Green terminal
Mounting method: snap-in
Net weight: 70g
Reference quotation: USD12.00

Specifications:
2.50A AC ammpeter
Model NO.: XL5135V-1
Power supply: 5VDC [isolation module]
Measure range: 50.0A AC with 75mv/50A external shunt
Resolution: 0.1A
Display: ultra-bright LED
Dimension: w79mm x h42mm x d26mm
Mounting hole: w76mm x h39mm
Green terminal
Mounting method: snap-in
Net weight: 70g
Reference quotation: USD12.00
50A/75mV Shunt USD5.00 Total USD17/set
View user's photo album (2 photos)
TsunamiBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVH64HW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B00DVH64HW&link_code=as3&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=L7J2EL3BRAJXWF4N

The wiring is super easy, I did not need any transformers (it runs off the measured voltage), and it is only one cut out. I am using it in my panel with the voltage measurement connected to the 240V points on the main power contactor, and the current transformer around the black wire coming in from the spa panel (so I see current pull from the 120V components).

The voltage measurement is accurate, as far as I can tell, and is measures current draw accurately as well. It picked up the 0.1A draw of a box fan on LOW plugged in to the 120V pump socket. Also, this cost me a lot less than buying all those other parts.
bltreece

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that when I was developing....hind sight is 20/20 I guess. However, now I have two nice holes cut in my panel..... Oh well. I do like the meters that Kazumachin used. Guess it doesnt hurt to spend a little extra money to avoid the head/heart ache =).
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the ones that I used because they have the internal volt transformers. So they save some space in your box.
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find matching Minlin meters either, so I went with the red voltage/blue amp option.

In case your curious how this would look, I've attached a pic.

FWIW, not a single person that has come over and toured the brewery has made mention that I have two different colors.
I guess since the thing kind of looks like a Christmas tree anyway people just think it's normal.....and really cool... LOL

img_1768a_891.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  503.57 KB
 Viewed:  16184 Time(s)

img_1768a_891.jpg

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red meter will die first.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those using the Xieli meters, I would be curious to see a picture once you have them powered up. I finally got my amp meter powered, and its wildly inaccurate and nonlinear. I spot checked different loads with a Fluke in line, and its sometimes off by more than 1 amp (which for my meter is a couple significant digits) so I would also be curious about the accuracy that you see.

Thanks!
SubEMCM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with the Drok combo volt/amp meter, linked above by TsunamiBrewing. Should you go with this, you can eliminate the 50A shunt, both doorbell transformers, and both DC power supplies. It opens up a lot of room in the panel! Current is measured via an induction coil that's about the size of a quarter that you simply run 1 of the hot wires coming from the power input receptacle through.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp and Volt Meters Reply with quote

Given the difficulties people are having, we now offer these MINLIN meters up for direct sale, along with the power supplies:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/meters-and-power-supplies

These are the same ones we include in our control panel kits and use in our pre-built panels.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
bltreece

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, this is amazing!! Couldn't be more excited! Thank you!
Yo_Pauly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal's. Glad to know my third meter will be the right one, and I don't have to wait five weeks to get it!

Both of my previous four-wire voltmeters had the 5V common terminals tied to one one of the AC inputs. This was an accidental discovery after being jolted when touching a seemingly harmless 5v supply while trying to adjust the LED brightness. Placing a multimeter between the panel ground and either 5vdc + or - terminal displayed 120vac. Luckily my supply was an isolated model and didn't suffer any damage. I guess those meters are only useful for displaying neutral-referenced AC measurements. I was about to settle for displaying just one of the 120V hot lines until your offering was posted.
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: