Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Firestone Walker Double Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Firestone Walker Double Jack Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/firestone-walker-double-jack-double-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:42 am; edited 18 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe is shockingly similar to this one:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Chris at BertusBrewery has some fantastic information/recipes. It's a subtle tweak but for all intents and purposes pretty much the same. Firestone Walker gives a ton of information on their website as to exactly what grain and hops are used and they've even published their mash schedule (!), so it's pretty straight forward to figure out. I respect Chris's input/recipes a lot.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a ton of hops!!
Big H

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While following the dry hop schedule do you leave the fermentation temp at 70º after the first addition or do you cool it down?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it at room temp. Drop hopping takes longer at colder temps.

Kal

OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added my last hop addition. Smells great and looking forward to it. One observation that I noticed is that I filled the kegs a bit too much as each hop addition using keg dry hop containers like Kal mentioned, feel free to modify this for links, are really floating. Working quite well though.
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having my first pint of this. Fantastic flavor and hop hit, but nicely blended. Not too much though. It's been about a week on gas so needs some more time. My issue is that it is cloudy. I added gelatin but we will see
MikeOH

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to brew a batch of this up tomorrow to have for the holidays. Will report back!
MikeOH

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an excellent IPA. Certainly quite hoppy, but still quite a smooth finish.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. So I brewed this two weeks ago and have done the first dry hopping in the fermentor. I don't have a bright tank so can I just do the additional dry hoppings in the keg? I purchased the SS dry hopper so I will use that but just wanted to see where others have done it.

Also, do you carbonate during the additional dry hoppings or keep it off the gas? I'm afraid of introducing too much oxygen from opening and closing the keg lid to add the hops.

Last question is how strict are you on sanitation when adding the dry hops? Usually when i dry hop, I will have the exact ammount i need in the vacuum sealed pouch that i soak in star san for a few mins before I cut it open and add them. Now I have been purchasing larger hop quantities like you and freezing them, are you not afraid of contamination when adding additional dry hops to the fermentor/keg? Is the risk mostly negated by the fact there is not much sugar for any bad bacteria to fead on and that usually it is in a low oxygen high CO2 environment? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything and introducing additional risk of infection while i dry hop. Thanks in advance for your help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
So I brewed this two weeks ago and have done the first dry hopping in the fermentor. I don't have a bright tank so can I just do the additional dry hoppings in the keg?

Sure. You don't need anything officially called a 'bright tank' either - I will often use 5 gallon carboys. I prefer letting the hops float around instead of using SS dry hoppers (which I have also used) as I find the hops just clump up. I like to let them move freely and will give the carboy a swirl a few times/day.

Quote:
Also, do you carbonate during the additional dry hoppings or keep it off the gas?

You can, if you're dry hopping in the keg. Up to you.

Quote:
I'm afraid of introducing too much oxygen from opening and closing the keg lid to add the hops.

You can always give hook up the gas and it a burp of CO2 after opening/closing by pull the pressure release valve.

Quote:
Last question is how strict are you on sanitation when adding the dry hops?

I'm not at all. Nothing grows on hops. Nothing grows at 0'F in the freezer. The beer has alcohol so it's somewhat protected.

Quote:
Now I have been purchasing larger hop quantities like you and freezing them, are you not afraid of contamination when adding additional dry hops to the fermentor/keg?

Nope. Not at all. I don't soak hop packages either. No harm in doing that however if it gives you piece of mind, but I think it's going overboard. Consider that commercial brewers just dump them in:

I'm sure they're not sanitizing those yellow buckets beforehand in any way.

Consider how hops like that are stored/dried:

Google "infection from dry hopping". LD/DR: It's not really possible. Hops are naturally anti microbial.

Good luck!

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the detailed response Kal. I bought the SS dry hopper so I guess I will give it a try and make sure I stir vigorously a few times a day. You also state not to use any gelatin to clarify, if I just dry hopped in the keg under co2 at 70f, the hops should drop out naturally and will be pulled off in the first few pints?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
I bought the SS dry hopper so I guess I will give it a try and make sure I stir vigorously a few times a day. You also state not to use any gelatin to clarify, if I just dry hopped in the keg under co2 at 70f, the hops should drop out naturally and will be pulled off in the first few pints?

Most of the hops should stay inside the SS dry hopper so they'll come out when you pull it out. If some do fall out, they'll settle out like you mentioned. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/firestone-walker-double-jack-double-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: