Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How long can wort sit in Conical before pitching yeast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: How long can wort sit in Conical before pitching yeast? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My target yeast pitching temp is 53 degrees and I will be using a temperature controlled conical fermenter that will chill wort about 1 degree / hour.

My input water temp to CFC is pretty warm ~70 degrees F.

I was thinking about doing some pre-water conditioning but wondered if I can just go directly into the conical and let that do the work. It would likely mean pitching the yeast the next day.

Is there a time window where I have to pitch the yeast or can the wort sit in the conical overnight in order to get to the correct pitching temp?

Is there a minimum temperature I need to cool the wort to before putting into conical?
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had wort in a fermenter overnight... it's all about sanitation. Be sure everything is squeaky-clean and you should be ok. I generally try to get my wort down below 90°F before going into the fermenter though. That should be easily achieved with a counter-flow chiller.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

During the warm summer months I can only get my wort down to 70ish. Then I've been putting it in the carboy and in the basement overnight to drop down to the mid 60s naturally. I've only been doing this for the last 10 batches or so, but (knock on wood) haven't had an infection yet. Clean, sanitize, and seal that thing up and you should be good. What kind of cooling do you have setup for your conical? It's definitely on my Christmas wish list...
Drix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this setup: http://morebeer.com/products/14-gallon-conical-fermenter-heated-cooled.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Wait to aerate right before I pitch the yeast or immediately after putting into conical at the higher temp?
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't have a good aeration/oxygenation system I'm not speaking from pure experience... But I think it would be best to aerate right before pitching. Reason being, I assume as it sits overnight you will likely off-gas much of the O2. Secondly, at lower temps you can more easily get a higher ppm O2. Just my .02

Cheers
Drix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinion.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy wrote:
As I don't have a good aeration/oxygenation system I'm not speaking from pure experience... But I think it would be best to aerate right before pitching. Reason being, I assume as it sits overnight you will likely off-gas much of the O2. Secondly, at lower temps you can more easily get a higher ppm O2. Just my .02

+1 to all this.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: