Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewery finally ready for first batch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrhamm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Brewery finally ready for first batch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well I started building this system almost 2 years, when I was living in an apartment. The panel took a year of tinkering when I found the time. Since then I bought a house and have a dedicated room in the basement that I've been slowly building out as a brewery. Now that the control panel is mounted, the room is finally to the point where it has the bare minimum to do my first ever batch on my Electric Brewery setup!

The ventilation system is still in pieces but I'm going to go with it for now so I can stop putting this off. Also, my quote on getting plumbing work done in the room was wayyy out of the ballpark, so I'll be using a garden hose hooked up to the faucet right outside the window. Pumping water OUT of the room will be more interesting but I'm sure I'll figure something out. The bathroom is right around the corner so worst case, I'll have hoses everywhere when cleaning up.

If the LHBS has all the necessary ingredients, I'm going to make Kal's SN Ruthless Rye clone recipe, as I have a lot of Chinook hops that I need to use up.

2014-10-11 17.36.09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.58 KB
 Viewed:  10160 Time(s)

2014-10-11 17.36.09.jpg

andrhamm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ventilation system... going the "salad bowl" route for now, since SS vent hoods are way too damn expensive!

2014-10-11 17.55.45.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.51 KB
 Viewed:  10159 Time(s)

2014-10-11 17.55.45.jpg

andrhamm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and tonight's pre-first-brew-session research!

2014-10-11 18.31.53.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.32 KB
 Viewed:  10158 Time(s)

2014-10-11 18.31.53.jpg

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, with bonus points for creativity on the salad bowl ventilation hood.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the salad bowl ventilation is really ineffective, at least with the flexible ducting... it filled up with condensation so quickly that it had to be emptied out several times during the boil because it was causing a trap (p trap?) like the drain under a sink, causing the room to quickly fill with steam. So, back to the drawing board on this one.

Pictures of the brew session here: http://imgur.com/a/bitoe
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the condensation collecting in the flex pipe or the fan itself?

did you remember to drill a drainage hole in the fan casing as per Kal's instructions?

if its the flex pipe, just punch a small hole at the lowest point and put a small bowl under it or the fan housing to collect the moisture..

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
James Edmonton

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are getting enough airflow to the hood, if not you will get lots of steam but not enough airflow to move it outside. It is hard to tell from you pictures how you used the hood. In the earlier pics you posted it looks like the lid/bowl sits right on the pot - if this is how you had it set for boiling then you probably restricted your airflow too much. I would suggest you try raising it above the pot - and hang it somehow so you can easily get some good airflow and can carry the moisture away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: