Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sparge Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Sparge Time Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just brewed my FIRST batch on The Electric Brewery 2 days ago. Have you heard of it? Wink
I made The Electric IPA and everything went very well considering the normal "first time using new equipment / process issues". This is an EXACT Kal Clone (My tile is even grey).

I made a 5 gal batch instead of a 10 gal even though I have the 20 gal kettles because I want to brew about 5 -6 batches to play with different styles and recipes.

Anyway, BeerTools calculated that I got 85.15% Efficiency after I plugged in my pre- and post-boil gravity. Not too shabby but ... I want Kal's 95%.

Since I brewed for 5 gal I Sparged 7.9 gals into the boil kettle and boiled (60 min) to 6 gal. Kal's recipe called for a 60-90 minute sparge but since I had less wort to move, I ended up with about a 50 minute sparge. I could have "trickled" slower but I reasoned (right or wrong?) that the sparge time would be proportional to volume.

Could this have effected my efficiency?
Is the sparge time dependent upon volume?
Or should it be approximately 1 gal per 5 minutes regardless of volume?
Or should I go as slow as possible (does it hurt to go too slow).

Using Kal's Brew Day Step by Step of 1 gal per 5 minutes his sparge should be (14.9 gal x 5 min) 1 hour 14.5 minutes and my 7.9 gal sparge should have been 39.5 minute.

I am pretty sure that once I get my brew day routine running smoother, my efficiency should improve. I can also see that it will run smoother once I brew to full capacity (10 gal) as I have a small issue getting my wort pump to prime with only 4.25 gals of water in it. My HLT pump primes with a "Whoosh" with all that gravity and volume above it.

Thanks for your help/advice.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sparge time seems reasonable. The other part of the equation, as far as efficiency is concerned is mash pH, as that also has an affect to conversion.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben58 wrote:
Your sparge time seems reasonable.

+1.

I wouldn't worry too much about high efficiency. If you're going to worry about efficiency, worry about consistent efficiency. That's much more important. In the batch sizes we're talking about, we generally don't care about high efficiency as it's saving us maybe $1/month.

The caveat to all this of course is that if you focus on getting consistent efficiency, high efficiency usually follows since it means you're doing things right. 85% is really good.

There are also so many ways to calculate efficiency incorrectly too - who knows, it may actually be higher (or lower). For example, very few brewers bother to check to make sure their hydrometer is accurate. Here's the instructions:

http://byo.com/equipment/item/411-calibrate-your-hydrometer-and-fermenter-techniques?ref=39

The one I use reads 4 pts too high across the scale (at both 1.000 and 1.050 - the two points I measured).

There are also all sorts of way to describe efficiency. See: http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/#a_aid=5982783965026

I just bring these point up so that that that when brewers quote their efficiency, people need to take everything with a grain of salt. Who know what efficiency they're talking about and who knows if it's correct to begin with.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the PH, also look at your crush of the grain. 85% is good and should get a little better as you tweak a few things along the way. I started around 85% as well and I'm around 92% now days. That Electric IPA is a great beer, you'll wish you had had brewed the entire 10 gallons when the 5 are gone. Merry Christmas, Castermmt

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50 minute sparge is a reasonable amount of time. I usually plan for 60.

But sparge time is not proportional to batch size. A 10 gallon batch shouldn't require twice the sparge time of a 5 gallon batch. The sparge time is dictated by the time is takes the sugars you've created in the mash to dissolve into solution, the sparge water. That's what really happening. Go too fast, and there is still sugar left in the bits of grain. If you have 15 pounds of grain and you sparge at a rate of 0.1 gallons per minute, that works out to the same water/grain exposure as if you had 30 pounds of grain and sparged at 0.2 gallons per minute. (I'm assuming comparable mash tun geometries.)

If you want to see this in action, use a refractometer to check the gravity coming out of the mash tun. The gravity overall will go down with time, but as you speed up and slow down the sparge, you can also see variation away from the overall trend. Take a reading, stop the sparge entirely for 10 minutes, then take another. You should see a spike up in the gravity reading. Of course this leads to the concept of batch sparging ...

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
A 50 minute sparge is a reasonable amount of time. I usually plan for 60.

But sparge time is not proportional to batch size. A 10 gallon batch shouldn't require twice the sparge time of a 5 gallon batch. The sparge time is dictated by the time is takes the sugars you've created in the mash to dissolve into solution, the sparge water. That's what really happening. Go too fast, and there is still sugar left in the bits of grain. If you have 15 pounds of grain and you sparge at a rate of 0.1 gallons per minute, that works out to the same water/grain exposure as if you had 30 pounds of grain and sparged at 0.2 gallons per minute. (I'm assuming comparable mash tun geometries.)

foomech:

This is exactly what I was wondering. So if I were to say, brew this recipe using 55 gal kettles, I would aim to match the Sparge Water to Lbs of Grain ratio over a time (say 5 min). My long term plan is to move to a 1 -2 bbl system and i was wondering how to adjust sparging to this size. I got to wonder that if I sparged at the same rate as for a 10 gal batch, I would be adding hours to the brew process.

Am I understanding you correctly on this?

(And yes, I have been dreaming of drinking The Electric IPA since i first found this site but was waiting to brew it on this system.)

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sparging time will be around an hour no matter the volume, possibly as low as 30 minutes, and you could go 90; but you should never need hours. Geometry of the mash tun and gravity of the beer will determine how much you might want to vary from the norm, but not the volume.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW a friend of mine who manufactures a gas-fired homebrewing setup, and seems to know quite a few of the brewers in CO, once told me that many/most of those folks told him sparge time should be around 90 minutes, regardless of batch size.

Not sure how many actually take that amount of time, but I always try to control my sparge rate to take between 60 and 90 mins, usually closer to 60 mins.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up - 2nd batch

A follow up on my new system. I did a second brew (this time Janet's Brown Ale). This time I used 100% RO Water instead of 50% RO to 50% wellwater which is perfect except VERY hard (Bicarbonate 403). I was able to dial in the water perfectly and my pH was much easier to adjust (required minimal change).

The result was a 95.74% efficiency! So ... I guess I would attribute this to pH management. I really had to add a lot of Lactic Acid to my first Electric IPA batch to try and get the pH to behave both to mash and sparge water. (Though the Electric IPA tastes awesome).

I am still having an issue with the hop stopper "stopping" once exposed even though I am draining as slow as possible but I will put that in a new thread if it persists ...

Drinking: Saison de Sol, Summer Noon, Labor Day Pale Ale, Cold Press Coffee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first batch was Kal's Electric Pale Ale on a Kal Clone. I followed his brew day directions step by step. I hit the numbers Kal reported for OG dead on.

My second batch was a Blue Moon clone. I sketched up the recipe in BeerSmith (as I had Kal's EPA). I got a little careless with the sparge (the wife said, 'wow, that went fast'--like it's the first time i heard that...) and I missed the OG by .006 (1.046 instead of predicted 1.052). I attribute this to the 'quick' sparge (definitely less than 30 minutes for a ten gallon batch).

My impression is that, if there is anywhere that it is tempting to 'cheat' to save a little time, it is the sparge. I'll not make that mistake again Smile
View user's photo album (20 photos)
ajb

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find grain crush is also a source of efficiency problems. I was getting very good and consistent efficiency for the last few, but it also appears in my system that the more grain in the bill, the slightly lower efficiency I see in terms of target pre boils and og. I am just beginning to worry about mash ph and hoping this is the rest of the puzzle.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajb wrote:
but it also appears in my system that the more grain in the bill, the slightly lower efficiency I see in terms of target pre boils and og.

Completely normal on any setup.

With really high gravity beers efficiency drops because you're using less sparge water than usual to rinse more grain than usual and end up leaving more sugars behind. For example, my regular 95% efficiency drops to 86% with my 12% Barleywine.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: