Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

2014 hop harvest totals

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: 2014 hop harvest totals Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i dont see any posts on hop growing and totals from 2014 harvest.

my harvest from 19 plants was 15 lbs

varieties
mt hood
fuggles
cascade
chinook
golding
centennial
willamette
nugget
hallertau
magnum
sterling

first 7 varieties are 3rd year plants
last 5 varieties are 2nd year plants

i grow all organic and find the dried cones to be every bit as good as commercial grown hops,just finished making a dortmunder the other day with sterling& mt hood,lightly hopped as a dort should be.pretty good too. Mug
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the harvest. I thought I was going to do alright this year but my crops went with out water of and on for the hottest part of the summer. The vines pretty much turned brown and then after pretty consistent watering new growth appeared on all the vines. Too little, too late.
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats too bad,i find it very annoying when something goes wrong with the plants but lack of water is a problem that should not happen, hope you have more time to tend to them next year and get a more rewarding crop.

what varieties are you growing Kwdriver ?
James Edmonton

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to start my harvest. I had trouble with aphids again this year - which set the crops back. Some vines look quite good while others really suffered. Lack of water a few times may also have been a problem, we had a funny weather pattern this year, so it could be that as well. I still think the aphids were the biggest problem. Tried to spray them a few times - but one side is basically against the house and it is hard to get back behind them to do much good.

The cones came later than usual this year as well - which I believe is a direct result of the abnormal weather pattern. Normally I would be done about now.

We will soon know - as the harvest is soon (maybe this weekend).
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopster54 wrote:
thats too bad,i find it very annoying when something goes wrong with the plants but lack of water is a problem that should not happen, hope you have more time to tend to them next year and get a more rewarding crop.

what varieties are you growing Kwdriver ?

I grew two vines of Goldings and two Willamettes. Yeah we had a pretty dry summer I was hosed on long weekends when I wasn't around. Built two sub-irrigated planters that worked great for my vegetables. I really only had to fill them once every three weeks. Perhaps I'll save some room next year for the hops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: