Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Any thoughts on this stand from Home Depot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvanwest

Drinking: Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Porter

Working on: Tangerine Wheat Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Any thoughts on this stand from Home Depot? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was at Home Depot today and saw this table today. It's only $70 and looks sturdy enough. My only concern is that the depth of the table is only 22" deep. I have 3 Blichmann 15.5 Gallon pots so it should be plenty of room. My only question is where I can mount the Electric Brewery Control Panel. I have a decent size garage but I don't want to mount the panel on the brick structure. I need to find something to mount it on but close enough to the table. Any thoughts here?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-72-in-Fold-Out-Wood-Workbench-WKBNCH72X22/203083493?keyword=282-216#specifications
[/img]

HD Table.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.94 KB
 Viewed:  11650 Time(s)

HD Table.jpg

Member of the Arizona Society of Homebrewers
Member of AHA/BA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you want to mount the panel on brick? That would be very stable. I'd use concrete sleeve anchors (available at home depot).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jvanwest

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the heat here in Arizona, my garage gets to 110F-130F or greater. I'm concerned that during the summer time, the heat might burn something out or possibly melt/affect the electronics in the panel. I know it's NEMA rated but not sure how the Arizona summer might affect the panel.

Member of AHA/BA
James Edmonton

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to mount it directly on the brick then I would suggest mounting some 3/4 plywood on the brick and then mount the panel on that - you can remove it easier that way and could add storage or other amenities to your bench.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvanwest wrote:
With the heat here in Arizona, my garage gets to 110F-130F or greater. I'm concerned that during the summer time, the heat might burn something out or possibly melt/affect the electronics in the panel. I know it's NEMA rated but not sure how the Arizona summer might affect the panel.

The various NEMA/IP ratings are about protecting against water, dust, etc. Nothing about temperature.

110-130F isn't very hot for electronics. I'd be more concerned about the comfort level of the brewer. That's not a comfortable temperature to brew in.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to attach your panel to the wall, why not bring two 2x4's up from one end to make a frame for you to attach the panel too?
jbrace1

Drinking: Saison de Sol, Summer Noon, Labor Day Pale Ale, Cold Press Coffee

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Blichmann 15s and a 20 on a 24 x 72 SS table. Plenty of depth, could have gone a little longer to have more room for misc stuff on the table (hops, utensils, scale, etc). Not sure how the back on the home depot table will affect the perceived depth. Can't have any fixtures (heating elements of BK temp probe) affixed to the backs of the kettles or 22" may not work.

If I did it again, I'd build a Kal-like table. I have a 16ga all SS table and it is still flimsy when the kettles are holding water...
View user's photo album (20 photos)
jvanwest

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that Home Depot had one that was 30" or so deep. I just saw this for $70 so the price is pretty awesome. I haven't seen anything come close to this price.

Member of AHA/BA
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this stand from Home Depot? Reply with quote

jvanwest wrote:
I need to find something to mount it on but close enough to the table. Any thoughts here?

I'm using an old wooden workbench I built when I was a kid. I added strut channel to the back to provide a place to hang things and mount the control panel. Here's a picture...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=362
View user's photo album (6 photos)
ajb

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any restaurant supply stores around that sell used? I grabbed steel tables that way at a pretty good price. Or Craigslist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: