Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Relay alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruef

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Relay alternative Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a theoretical question. Could a person use a couple of mercury switches in place of the combination SSR's and relays/contactors? I realize they can be pretty pricey but if someone were short on space or just looking to minimize the number of components, they should work, shouldn't they? And if one did build the panel that way, would one still need the heat sink(s)?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury switches are switches that open/close based on orientation. They look like this:

In the above position it is off. Tilt it 90 degrees such that the wires are at the bottom and the mercury falls and creates a connection path between the two wires, closing the switch.

They're used a lot in older thermostats, at the end of the coil that expands/contracts with temperature, like so:

Maybe you're thinking of something different?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
bruef

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - I just double checked and I was using the wrong term. What I had in mind was a mercury contactor. I own a sausage business and my commercial smoker uses a mercury contactor to fire the heating element (here's the specific model http://www.mdius.com/pdf/SpecSheets/relays/330NO-120AU.pdf ). It cycles the element on and off gently like an SSR - without the physical "clunk" of a standard contactor.
James Edmonton

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

From what I read of your diagram you could perhaps replace the magnetic relay with one of these but not the SSR. They have different functions. I could see how this could work in a smoker or something that was basically designed to simply hold a temperature by cycling on and off.

The SSR gives you a much greater ability to control the temperature and power usage of the element. It essentially works like a light dimmer, turning the light on an off many times per second to control the light level. Essentially the same thing happens with the SSR and the heating element - it can in effect vary the power to control temperature and so forth.

As I see it - your unit works more like a freezer thermostat - which is full on or full off. On until the desired temperature is reached then off until it is needed again.

As such I am not sure how the PID would control it. It might in theory work, but I wouldn't expect it to work well. You may be able to replace the relay with it - that might work fine, but I don't think you could replace the SSR.

I am not an expert on these things, but from the information you provided I don't think it is the way you may want to go. Others may chime in with better information.

Have a great day!

James
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I had never heard of a mrercury relay until now. Like James said, I think in theory it could work but I'm not entirely sure the cycle time would be fast enough as they're not high speed devices.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Owing to environmental considerations about the toxicity of mercury, mercury relays are obscure and mostly obsolete though modern encapsulated units still have applications. They are generally being replaced by solid state relays.

High-speed operation

Owing to the mass of mercury moved during switching, compared to that of the armature and spring leaves of a conventional relay, the mercury relay is not a high-speed device. Despite this, the mercury relay does have a very low contact bounce time, in the sub-millisecond range. For some applications, particularly inductive loads, this alone may be a reason for their use – the timing of contact closure is not rapid, but the avoidance of bounce is valuable.

For high-speed use, the mercury-wetted relay is used instead. This combines the speed of a low-mass relay, together with the fast wetting of mercury contacts. A relay, usually a reed relay, has its contacts coated with a small quantity of mercury. This gives the low bounce advantage of mercury, although the current capacity is still limited to broadly that of the original reed relay.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_relay

Kal

bruef

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting- yes I think you're both right as I burnt out one of the mercury contactors a couple years ago and the factory rep said I could just replace it temporarily with a regular contactor until I could get a proper replacement (can't leave the standard contactor installed indefinitely as it would wear out quickly from the frequent cycling on and off). The mercury unit cycles on and off more gently - without the physical "clunk" of the moving parts inside the regular contactor. This is needed because when the smoker is running, the heating element can cycle on and off as often as once or twice a minute.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruef wrote:
This is needed because when the smoker is running, the heating element can cycle on and off as often as once or twice a minute.

With a brewing setup it can be one or twice a second.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: