Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Finding an affordable and accurate temp controller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat_carnig

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Finding an affordable and accurate temp controller. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am building an eherms mash setup (will still be boiling with propane) and am on a budget. I'd like to use this element to hold the water temp in the HLT (http://www.homebrewstuff.com/2000-w-ss-heat-stick-w-weldless-gasket-kit.html) and am looking for an affordable yet accurate way to control it. Would the STC-1000 work for this application? I already have a GFCI protected circuit on my brew stand with a simple on/off switch for power to the pump and future temp controller, just need to find an affordable solution to controlling the actual heating element.

EDIT: I realize the link says 2000w element, but as you can see in the description it's actually 1500w.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STC-1000 units I found for 120V on eBay were limited to 10 amps, and you'll need more than that for a 1500W heating element. This isn't too surprising, as there are PIDs out there with internal relays, but those too are typically limited to 10 amps. If you want to control more amps, more $.

Also, it looks like that is just an on-off controller, which means if you are starting with cold water, you may very well overshoot your intended target temperature.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've decided to go with the PID in case I ever want to upgrade to a full electric system. But since I am new to this I could use a little help. I've seen tons of wiring diagrams but they all control at least one element and a pump. I have a GFCI protected outlet with an on/off switch on my stand, this will work to turn on the pump and temp controller (each on their own outlet). So would I only need to wire the probe and power to the PID, the PID to the SSR and the SSR to the element? If any electrically savvy individuals were able to work up a quick simple wiring diagram of just 1 PID and 1 element that would be awesome.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a relay triggering PID, it will probably have a little diagram showing you most of what you need. Power goes to PID as indicated, temp probes as indicated, and two connections of the PID will go to the control side of the SSR (possibly the side with smaller terminals, although they might all be the same). Power goes to one "big" side of the SSR, the other side connects to your heating element.

For the Auber SYL-2352, here's the manual:
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manual%20version%203.4.pdf
There is a diagram for wiring up with an SSR and heater in section 5.3.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for digging up that manual Foo! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: