Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian River Pliny The Younger Triple IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've always rehydrated my US-05. Both ways should work however (direct pitch or rehydrate first). I've read lots of conflicting info on this so I just do what I've always done and it works well.

I've also added a tip to the recipe on usage of corn sugar in high gravity beers like this where attenuation is concerned - take a look above.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dunnry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I've always rehydrated my US-05. Both ways should work however (direct pitch or rehydrate first). I've read lots of conflicting info on this so I just do what I've always done and it works well.

I've also added a tip to the recipe on usage of corn sugar in high gravity beers like this where attenuation is concerned - take a look above.

Kal

I will probably try that next time (if there is a next time). While 1.088 is high, it's not *that* high, so I just didn't consider it.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunnry wrote:
While 1.088 is high, it's not *that* high, so I just didn't consider it.

Agreed. Part of the problem with Younger is that we want to finish ridiculously low (dry) so everything you can do to help this out will help. You really want to hit that 91%+ attenuation.

I hit 1.008 on this brew and to get it down to 1.006 next time I may try subbing out some 2-row for a bit more sugar. Right now the recipe calls for 9.1% sugar but I think it could go up to even 15%.

I recently made a Blonde Ale that I wanted to finish as dry as possible and used a similar mash schedule as here but added another rest in the middle:

Mash @ 145F for 90 minutes, 148F for 60 minutes, 155F for 30 minutes

It was 80% 2-row and 20% rice and hit 92.3% attenuation (1.039 down to 1.003 for 4.7% ABV).

Kal

Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha comes through.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/lets-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

looks like direct pitching is bad:)
Cheers
Jeff
mnoltimier

Drinking: Big Nut Brown Ale, Sky Pond Pale Ale, Smashin' Punkin, Berlinner Weisse, Vienna Lager, Hopulence IIPA, Helles Angels

Working on: Maude Flanders Red, Gallagher's Watermelon Wheat

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, do you think you have any of that oily gunk inside your chiller?
View user's photo album (45 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnoltimier wrote:
Kal, do you think you have any of that oily gunk inside your chiller?

No, at least not any more than with other beers, as I didn't have any in the hoses leading up to the chiller. It seems to be something that sticks when you first add it to the boil.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pliny the Younger 2014 craze has started.

Here's a video of people lined up in the rain up the block and around the corner, hours before Russian River opens. Crazy!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=651725878217843

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a hell of a line for a beer. I live near Three Floyds in Northwest Indiana and they do what they call “Dark Lord Day and sell a different/special beer each year for $15 for 22oz bottle. People travel from all over the country and wait in line like this. Its beer, I wouldn’t do it. I’m two week’s from tapping into my first batch. The smell from the fermenter was great, I can’t wait. Castermmt

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could brew a 10-gallon batch, while drinking something else that you brewed, have it in the fermenter, and cleaned up the brewery, even with the sticky tar mess, before the line even got off the first corner! Passion is not ration(al)!
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't tried making this one myself, I was lucky enough on Monday evening to have a glass of the real deal at The Mayor of Old Town here in Fort Collins. That's the second year in a row, though this year was crazy busy and the sixtel was sold out (ordered out's more like it) before it was even tapped.

Definitely good stuff!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great tasting beer, I've been drinking this for the past week or so and I'm having one now and it s is great to smell and taste. I brought a Growler of it to our brew club and it was a big hit.

If your thinking about brewing this, do it, You won't regret it.
Castermmt Mug

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal/Others who have brewed this: what is the timespan from brew day to peak flavor in your opinion? My friend is finishing up his MBA in 2 months and throwing a party and I'm wondering if I brew this next week if it will be ready in ~2 months. I know higher gravity beers tend to need more time to condition but I'm sure that has to be balanced with the volatility of the hop aroma. Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hop forward beers like this are best drunk as reasonable fresh. I only give them ~2 weeks in the keg at 32F to carb up and condition just slightly. Then they're at their prime.

For example, read the writing around the outside of the label for Pliny the Elder:

The same would hold true for Younger, or any other IPA or IIPA for that matter.

Kal

Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months should be perfect.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks guys!
Sambow

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, a little over a month later it was time to bottle and keg (I do half and half because I only have space for 4 kegs in my kegerator and because bottle's are easier to give away). It smelled amazing and tasted pretty great as well, even uncarbonated.

I have a question though, was the 1.088 OG with or without the corn sugar? I was assuming it was without the corn sugar since you suggest adding the corn sugar near the end of primary (which I did), but 1.088 OG to 1.008 FG would yield 10.5% as the recipe indicates (without factoring in the corn sugar). I had an OG of 1.087 without the corn sugar, so if I had added the corn sugar during the boil I believe I would have landed at 1.098.

I also ended at an FG of 1.014, which is another reason I'm wondering if I should have been aiming for a lower OG.
dunnry

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sambow wrote:

I have a question though, was the 1.088 OG with or without the corn sugar? I was assuming it was without the corn sugar since you suggest adding the corn sugar near the end of primary (which I did), but 1.088 OG to 1.008 FG would yield 10.5% as the recipe indicates (without factoring in the corn sugar). I had an OG of 1.087 without the corn sugar, so if I had added the corn sugar during the boil I believe I would have landed at 1.098.

I also ended at an FG of 1.014, which is another reason I'm wondering if I should have been aiming for a lower OG.

1.088 was _with_ sugar. You are aiming for around 10% ABV. So, you either had better efficiency than you thought, or your final volume was too low.

Your FG is a tad high (as was mine actually). However, if you had a 1.098 OG, that is actually a pretty good attentuation. Next time you brew this, you can correct it. The beer will still be plenty fine. Mine is still quite good, but I wish I had a few more point attentuation. Next time...
Sambow

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that is what I figured. So I'm looking at an 11% beer with a little more body than I was aiming for. I think there are worse things in life Smile

The good news is, this means that even on this very large beer my efficiency has been within < 1% of 85% for the last 4 straight beers! Very happy with the consistency I'm getting.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sambow wrote:
I have a question though, was the 1.088 OG with or without the corn sugar?

The recipe says to add the sugar near the end of boil (10 mins out), so 1.088 is with the sugar added in the boil. If you have attenuation problems with your process/setup then it's suggested that you may want to add the sugar near the end of fermentation instead.

Kal

Sambow

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I figured I must have missed something. Thanks Kal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: