Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How long recirculating your mash before husk tannins

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: How long recirculating your mash before husk tannins Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
just thinking has anyone using the Kal clone done a test to see the time to stop mashing before tannins start to extract for normal 2row ??

I want to push the limits on a heavy grain recipe with 13% alcohol
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time isn't the only factor. It takes a combination of one or more things:

- Time
- Temp
- pH

If your temp is a normal mash temp of (say) 148-156F and never above 168F, and your pH is in the right range (5.2-5.3) you could mash for days without issues.

See my Brew Day Step by Step article for more information.

Last week I did a step mash that took over 3 hours. It's for a very delicate American Light Lager (think bud light).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, temp rest mash yes but I'm talking recirculation mash and all the above you mentioned would be mash held at 150 steady water at 5.3 to 5.6

my recipe is for 35 lb American - Pilsner, plus 10 lb of cane sugar, 1 pund of Honey malt and some orange zest

3 hours work on this?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time won't be an issue recirculating. pH is the only factor.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally stay within the 23 lb range of 2 row except for a few and came up light on taste for the 90 minute mash range so thinking allot longer this time, just didn't want the husks to start sending bad flavor in this lighter beer
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todhend wrote:
I agree, temp rest mash yes but I'm talking recirculation mash and all the above you mentioned would be mash held at 150 steady water at 5.3 to 5.6

my recipe is for 35 lb American - Pilsner, plus 10 lb of cane sugar, 1 pund of Honey malt and some orange zest

3 hours work on this?

Again, time doesn't matter if the other things are in check. doesn't matter if it's recirculating.

There's also no need to mash for 3 hours at a single temp of 150F. That's not an overly low temp. Anything beyond 90 mins won't have any effect. Some will say even 60 is more than adequate.

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Last week I did a step mash that took over 3 hours. It's for a very delicate American Light Lager (think bud light).

Say what?!!! Wink
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. Wink

I like the challenge and many of our guests just want something light. It's a hard beer to get really perfect given how light tasting it is. Any flaws stick right out. There's no massive load of hops (or malt) to hide behind!

So I've been making it now on and off for a year now trying to get the process and mash schedule down pat. Bud supposedly uses something like a ~3 hr mash that slowly rises from 142F to 155F (give or take).

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never made a good light beer either, always something standing out that shouldn't be there, I have how ever filtered to get a light beer with good success but is tricky keeping flavor
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: