Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Pilot Peak Brewing build complete

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjjfrench

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Pilot Peak Brewing build complete Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I've been lurking on the forums for about a year. After 20 years of brewing 5 gallon batches with propane I decided I was tired of hauling my equipment up from the basement to the garage every other week when I wanted/needed to brew. After about 3-4 months of planning and discussing different options, I decided to go with an electric brewery in the basement.

The plan started simple enough--a couple of pots, a controller, and maybe an exhaust fan. But with all things it sort of mushroomed a bit.

I ordered the first pieces last spring--a 50 A B2B kit. I worked slowly from that point--completing a few pieces when I had extra time--detailing the plans for the rest of the room, etc.

Well, last saturday, the new home brewery produced its first product--10 gallon black IPA that is bubbling away quite nicely down in the corner.

I share a few pictures of my brewery, below. Mostly, I want to say thanks to the folks on this forum--The wealth of information on here has made the process pretty simple. Kal-the directions you provide are incredible. All through the process, I kept looking for things that I could change or tweak --but surprisingly found very little. I think in all my work building the brewery I only had to post one or two questions--everything else had been covered one time or another by Kal, Mike, or some other poster on the forum.

So now that the brewery is done, I get to start spending some hours finishing the tap room. I'm looking forward to that, but mostly looking forward to making some new brews and learning a somewhat different process than I've been practicing for the last 20 years.

-Jeff
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking build Jeff, congrats! Mug
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Thumbs Up
Rotten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude it looks great! Nicely done. And the brew space you have is awesome. I like the brick. So can you tell us about your vent hood? I'm always looking at new ways to do this because I still haven't built my hood. Did you make it?

cheers! Mug
jjjjfrench

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vent hood is galvanized. I had a sheetmetal guy in town bend it up for me. Pretty straight forward design with a 1" gutter around the inside. Primed and painted with the same paint I used on the control box. MUCH cheaper than going with stainless.

I was originally going to add a drain to the gutter, but the fan moves way more air than I expected. No condensation on the inside of the hood during my brew session.

-Jeff
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Peak Brewing build complete Reply with quote

jjjjfrench wrote:
Kal-the directions you provide are incredible. All through the process, I kept looking for things that I could change or tweak --but surprisingly found very little.

Are you sure about that? When I first looked at the control panel you built I thought it was upside down with the PIDs and timer near the bottom! Wink

In all seriousness: Congrats on the new brew room. It looks fantastic! Like others posted above, I really like the brick too. It gives it a nice rustic but yet industrial feel like an old downtown loft apartment or something. Edit: If it's ok with you, I'd like to use one of the pictures with some of your text on our testimonials page.

I'm looking forward to see pictures of the tap room too as things progress.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a big fan of the brick. Great looking room

Scott
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice space indeed.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-feel free to use any of the pictures/text you would like. I'll get some more pictures up as I finish the tap room.

Also--for anyone interested in a 50A panel--I have drawings of the panel layout that were used for the waterjet, I would be happy to post them if anyone wants them.

-Jeff
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredible. Is the back drop copper or what? I could use that drawing for the panel layout. Thanks for sharing your work, very inspiring to think that maybe this time next year I will have produced a batch in my own system.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjfrench wrote:
Kal-feel free to use any of the pictures/text you would like. I'll get some more pictures up as I finish the tap room.

Done! I added it to the Testimonials page and linked to this thread so that if/when you add more pictures, people can see them.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jjjjfrench

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmoody-
yes, backsplash is copper, 3' by 6' sheets of 36 guage. I got them through colorcopper.com. I liked them so much I ordered some more to do some table tops.

Attached are the dxf files for the control panel top, front and bottom (in the zip archive). I referenced a single location to one hole, then the water jet can cut everything off that reference. If you use this, I would suggest opening up the holes for the volt and amp meter just a bit--I had to use my dremel to open those up a bit more.
The jpg shows the dimensions used and can be viewed easily without a CAD program or viewer.

-Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: