Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

50A Control Panel back to back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beamar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sorry, I didn't mean to throw the coil on my list, it was suppose to be : 50 Amp 125/250 Volt AC Locking Grounded California-Style connector

Just looking to get it going cheap. I know doing a little google shopping work I found both parts a lot less.

thanks for your quick reply!
Brian
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're buying the correct parts and quality parts. There's a lot of questionable stuff out there. Sometimes you can get lucky with some NOS (new old stuff) stuff off eBay so take a look there too.

If you're interested in a complete kit let us know - we sell kits and do buy the parts in volume. Given the number of pre-built and kit control panels we've shipped, over years we've also been through multiple parts and have weeded out the undesirables.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
brianteel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking into this control panel. Currently I brewing 2.5 gallon batch. To boil this much liquid I require a much smaller element to heat the water. I was wondering (with the wiring done right) Could a 2000 watt (110 volt) element be connected to the boil and hot liquor tank outlets and draw out of there. My understanding is that these elements will draw as much power as they require to run at max draw. I am setting my self to do larger batches in the future.

Also does the kit come with everything precut and just needs to be mounted or does everything need to be cut.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Using smaller power elements will not be problem.

Nothing is precut with the kits.

Kal

rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Power supply components Reply with quote

I am wondering what the silver boxes are that are in place of the separate door bell transformers and variable DC regulators for the voltmeter and ammeter. Looks a lot cleaner than what is used on the main site. Thanks.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a combination package that is both a ac to dc transformer and voltage regulator.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
They are a combination package that is both a ac to dc transformer and voltage regulator.

I figured that much. Any more specifics such as were to aquire them? I have not found any that have an adjustable output.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These power supplies had to be specially modified to work with the amp/volt meters which is the main reason we stopped using them in all our pre-built panels and never included them in kits at all. We recommend that the items from the build instructions be used as they are standardized and easier to find.

Kal

rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
These power supplies had to be specially modified to work with the amp/volt meters which is the main reason we stopped using them in all our pre-built panels and never included them in kits at all. We recommend that the items from the build instructions be used as they are standardized and easier to find.

Kal

Thank you, explains why I searched like crazy and could not find anything like these. Maybe I should fire up EAGLE and try to make my own PCB, sourcing the transformer would be the hardest part.
jms7465

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. Still having trouble finding/identifying the 2 pole 50A/240VAC contactor with 120V coil. (at a reasonable price)

A couple guys were saying they were using this 40 amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z0RLL2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004Z0RLL2&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

Any direction would be a help. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use a 50A contactor as you will be pulling more than 40A if using two 5500W heating elements. Even with two 4500W elements running at the same time as two pumps you're going to be right on the line. This is why I recommend 50A contactors.

Parts can sometimes be hard to find. I would suggest buying our control panel kit which includes all the parts you need and will be cheaper too since we buy parts in the 100's and you don't have to pay separate shipping on 100's of parts from all over the place.

Good luck!

Kal

rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jms7465 wrote:
Don't have the funds nor approval from SWMBO to plop down $1100 all at once, thus the slow build up of parts.

Keep in mind that you'll spend more buying slowly one piece at a time than saving up and purchasing all at once.

Quote:
Perhaps Kal you could sell the individual parts alone or in smaller chunks like all the relays/contactors/SSRs as a kit.

Maybe some day, but for now we're too busy selling kits and pre-built components.

Selling individual parts also becomes somewhat of a nightmare of support as those who do not wish to build per our instructions will still look for assistance. It's much easier to offer support when we know someone has bought the entire kit and is build per our instructions. We have instructions and FAQs available to assist too.

We get emails every day from people who are building differently using parts they've purchased elsewhere and we're simply too busy to assist where the design is different.

Kal
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jms7465 wrote:
Hey all. Still having trouble finding/identifying the 2 pole 50A/240VAC contactor with 120V coil. (at a reasonable price)

A couple guys were saying they were using this 40 amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z0RLL2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004Z0RLL2&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

Any direction would be a help. Thanks

That contactor is rated at 50A resistive load. The complete breakdown of it's rating is :

FLA (Full Load Amps) 40A
LRA (Locked Rotor Amps) 240/200/160
RES (Resistive) 50A

The FLA rating is for an inductive load (motors for instance), the RES rating is for a resistive load such as a heating element.

There do not appear to be any 2 pole contactors with a 40A FLA rating, only 3 pole. Pray tell, what are the contactors rated for in Kal's kits?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50A resistive is fine since the load that is presented is the heating element which is a resistive load.

Kal

rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
50A resistive is fine since the load that is presented is the heating element which is a resistive load.

Kal

Good information, thank you. May I suggest that you update the main FAQ for both of the 50A builds to include this information as there is some confusion in sourcing this particular part. I could have saved myself $7 and gotten a contactor with the terminals that I wanted instead of hunting around for over a month in confusion until I found one that said it was 50A yet was a 40A FLA/50A RES like the Packard C240B. I may help future prospective builders who like me are unable to acquire SWIMBO approval for a one time expense to order your kit.
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-

Do you sell conversion kits? Just the parts that would be required to convert a 30A single batch panel over to 50A? You mentioned previously that some of the parts could be difficult to source and will have a higher cost for shipping the parts from different sellers, I was just wondering if that is something you guys would do since you have all of the parts.

I am only just starting to think about converting my system to this setup. My main reason is that I would like to be able to heat up cleaning water while I am boiling so that I can wrap up my brew day faster.

Thanks-
Holter

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holter wrote:
Do you sell conversion kits? Just the parts that would be required to convert a 30A single batch panel over to 50A?

We do not. Sorry. We're simply too busy at the moment to do custom parts orders I'm afraid. Best to use the links to get the parts you need.

Cheers,

Kal

Holter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good - busy is good. Just thought i would check.
ChukInaTruk

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Second Timer Layout Question 50amp DIY Reply with quote

My DIY 50 Amp panel just arrived and I’m like a kid in a candy store. Looking at the layout and reading the above post I’m thinking I’m going to add an additional timer exactly like the one that was shipped “Eagle Signal” along with an additional reset button and alarm switch. This will be handy for doing BTB brews, timer for the mash, timer for the boil…..

Question: other than the three times I just mentioned, along with a little extra wire and connectors, will I need to add anything else in the panel to make this second timer work? Or will it be able to be wired to the existing, hardware, posts and ext.?

Chuck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait for my panel to arrive. Back to back is going to help cut down double brews
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: