Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Setting up the right corporation for brewing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Setting up the right corporation for brewing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know some people have set up businesses for brewing. What is the simplest way to go aout this? Dont want to spend a lot but want the name registered. I have other corporations but not related to brewing at all. Please advise.
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the type of corporation matters from an accounting point of view for the most part. Of course i havent done research in this area yet but if you have any friends that are lawyers or accountants they are the ones to ask.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I currently have a few different ones, based on the accounting and what they do. I know that part, i was just wanting to know what type people did when setting up one. C corp, S corp, LLC, etc. I notice people have named breweries on their forum post member info, so those have to be set up somewhat legally. You cant claim a name publicly without it being registered somehow, so that is what i am thinking.
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brewing network has a series of shows on going pro and I think they talk about types of corporations.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Page-4

Scott
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up the right corporation for brewing Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
I know some people have set up businesses for brewing. What is the simplest way to go aout this? Dont want to spend a lot but want the name registered. I have other corporations but not related to brewing at all. Please advise.

FWIW we've setup an LLC at this point in time. Either an LLC or S-Corp passes income straight through to your personal income tax return. The LLC is simpler to form and run (read: no meetings and record keeping like and S-Corp). I believe an S-Corp makes more sense if there are investors, but right now I'm a bit fuzzy on that (see my last statement on getting an attorney!). Both provide protection to your personally from a financial perspective and your personal finances.

The SBA has some good information at their site on the topic I believe.

Of course now that I re-read your post you have other corps so you know this... Smile

We're going to engage an attorney before we go any further in the process though. A friend of mine is opening a distillery here next month, and after talking with him it sounds like a good use of funds.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
You cant claim a name publicly without it being registered somehow, so that is what i am thinking.

I would imagine that 99% of people here and on other forums like HomeBrewTalk.com have not done anything to register their 'brewery' name. They're simply having fun and named their home brew setup and have zero intention of going pro.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! Just didn't want to step on anyone's toes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: