Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Frozen beer!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Frozen beer!? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I was at the crash chill phase after fermentation with the gelatin added and opened things up to keg and noticed floating ice chunks. Is that a problem?
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really good or bad. You will want to make sure the ice melts before racking the beer to keg though. The ice chunks are water, so if you rack your beer off to keg and leave behind the ice chunks you will have changed the composition of the beer - higher ABV, etc. Its actually a method used for creating an Eisbock.

Good luck.

Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a big deal like Holter said, but i would wonder why your beer is freezing. Describe your fridge setup with anything in use for chilling, maybe we can troubleshoot it:)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had this happen to me, in the summer using my plate chiller doesn't work worth a darn so decided to put my carboy in the sub zero freezer over night to chill, one day I forgot to pull it out in the morning before work and had a thin layer of ice on the top, just let it set in the worm garage for the rest of the day sealed and it turned out fine, matter of fact the beer seemed clearer than normal
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: