Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kentucky Common Recipe???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Kentucky Common Recipe??? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone here ever brewed a Kentucky Common and could share a recipe? I've just started Googling for recipes, but I thought I'd check here too just in case.

A local uBrewery, Verboten Brewing, has a Kentucky Common called "Angry Banjo" that I had a chance to try the other day. Very enjoyable brew...
View user's photo album (6 photos)
chutracheese

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this month's BYO?
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chutracheese wrote:
Did you see this month's BYO?

The July/August issue? I'm not finding a KC recipe??
BBBF

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the original post was made some time ago, but I've done Mike Dixon's recipe twice and enjoyed it. I like that you sour a portion of the wort separately and then add it to the boil, which kills the bacteria. I used a Johnson controller and a slow cooker to keep the wort at the correct temperature while souring. It would be interesting to just sour the whole batch in an electric kettle. The downside would be that you don't have as much control as you do with the small container. If the small container gets too sour, you can use less of it or dump it out. If your whole batch is too sour, there isn't much you can do to correct the problem and there is a lot more to dump down the drain.

Quote:
1908 Kentucky Common
by Mike Dixon
5 gallon recipe

6 lb. Marris Otter (Sour 20%, see below)
13 oz. American crystal 120L
3.5 oz. American chocolate
2 lb. Gelatinized grits (see below)

158° F for 1 hour
170° F for 10 min.

90 minute boil
0.5 oz. Cluster (6.5% AA, 65 min.)
0.5 oz. Cluster (6.5% AA, 30 min.)
0.5 oz. Cluster (6.5% AA, 2 min.)

Neutral yeast. (I used Danstar Nottingham.)

OG 1.048
FG 1.016-1.018
IBU 24
SRM 18

Sour 20% of the Marris Otter for 2 1/2 days using yogurt culture or raw grain. Mash first at 158°F and after 170°F mashout reduce to 90-105°F and add yogurt or raw grain. Combine sour mash with main mash before sparge.

Gelatinize grits by boiling for 30 minutes. I found it took about 1 gallon water per pound of grits to keep them runny.

There were two versions given in the different editions of Wahl and Henius. The specs for each were:
1902 Edition – OG 1.040-1.044, ~20 IBU, 30% corn
1908 Edition – OG 1.040-1.050, 20-30 IBU, 25-35% corn, slight lactic sourness
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that recipe BBBF. I'll have to give it a shot at some point. I have another recipe that I just put together that I want to try. I was going to use some acidulated malt to get some sour, but after talking with the Verboten brewer I think I'm going to do a sour mash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: