Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
But you look so focused;)
rockinmarty

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone can look dorky when photographed with your setup.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.9 KB
 Viewed:  68886 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.66 KB
 Viewed:  68886 Time(s)

image.jpg

View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a PDF of the entire November 2013 "Brew Your Own" (BYO) magazine article for anyone that's curious:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/Electric_Homebrewery_BYO_Nov2013.pdf (4.7 mb)

Want to subscribe to BYO and support our site at the same time? Use this link. More links can be found here.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
DHay17

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to the forum, but have been brewing for almost a decade. I am just finishing up a major reno of my home in Vancouver, and have built a brew room while I'm at it. As part of this reno we also redid our kitchen on the main floor, and my lovely wife has allowed me to run chilled beer lines from the brew room in the basement upstairs to the island in the kitchen.

The lines, I used a jacket (insulated) double copper, double poly line for two taps, have been installed and dry-walled over so now its just getting the whole thing up and running. I read about your (Kal) whole set-up and am keen to learn more about how you went about hooking up the pond-pump. I can't find much info in the forums on this. Did you splice the line and drill out a whole in a fridge freezer? Where can I read more?

Ps. I would have pm you but I have fewer than 5 public posts.

Pps. Looking forward to using your links to support the cause, in turn for a little helpful info Thumbs Up
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this post and the next few:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=295672#295672

I also have some information here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290842#290842

There are some pictures and text, but no step by step instructions providing everything in detail. It's mostly explained however. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

The special coolant insulated line (2 hoses) was spliced into the 2 coolant lines in the trunk line with 8 beer lines, and then with the copper coil too. It's a closed loop with the pond pump's in a small container, constantly recirculating 24/7. I ran the same way in the old bar for 5+ years straight.

Good luck!

Kal

OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, you might have mentioned this in other posts, but it's easier to ask again. How many 5 gallon kegs can you fit into your conditioning frig? If you could take a picture of the insides, a bit closer up than some of the other photos, I'd like to try to mimic that. Also, could you show a bit how you rigged the CO2 tanks as well. If you could tell us the brand of the Frig and the cubic inches, that would help. Thanks.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking to fit 6 kegs into an upright frig, but cant seem to find one that fits them.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
kal, you might have mentioned this in other posts, but it's easier to ask again. How many 5 gallon kegs can you fit into your conditioning frig?

Six.

Quote:
If you could take a picture of the insides, a bit closer up than some of the other photos, I'd like to try to mimic that.

Quote:
Also, could you show a bit how you rigged the CO2 tanks as well.

Not sure I understand. It goes Tank -> regulator -> gas line -> gas QD -> keg
You can splice it any way you like. I spliced it 6 ways.

Quote:
If you could tell us the brand of the Frig and the cubic inches, that would help. Thanks.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UW2524/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000UW2524&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how to set it up, i just cant put that many in mine. i just wanted to see where you put the CO2 tanks. This helps, thanks.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That commercial fridge is very nice. I used to use a household fridge and built a shelf out of plastic decking material to accommodate the sloped bottom at the back of the unit. With that I might have been able to fit six kegs. I can't say for sure as I only had four at the time, but those four fit with room on the shelf for my CO2 bottle.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - one of the reasons for going with a commercial fridge is that it has a completely flat bottom, no weird juts or holders for things like pop, butter, etc. It's essentially one large box with adjustable shelves.

If I was careful and didn't want to store anything else, there may even be enough room for a set of 3 or more kegs above the existing 6.

Kal

g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/16-7-cu-ft-convertible-refrigerator-freezer/8825587.p?id=1207352527693&skuId=8825587&st=categoryid$abcat0902002&cp=1&lp=5
I had to take the inside panel off the door and replace it with a flat piece of fiberglass that I got from HD for about $25 and now I can get 6 corny kegs and still have two shelves. Setup looks a lot like Kal's.

Scott
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g8tors wrote:
I'm using this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/16-7-cu-ft-convertible-refrigerator-freezer/8825587.p?id=1207352527693&skuId=8825587&st=categoryid$abcat0902002&cp=1&lp=5
I had to take the inside panel off the door and replace it with a flat piece of fiberglass that I got from HD for about $25 and now I can get 6 corny kegs and still have two shelves. Setup looks a lot like Kal's.

Scott

I had to do something similar for an old fermentation fridge based on a "dorm" fridge. Luckily when I pulled back the rubber door seal I found the inside panel held in place with screws. Removed them all and replaced the panel with a piece of flat white plastic.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Hood measurement Reply with quote

Kal,

Would you mine posting the distance between the top of your kettles and the bottom of your hood? I'll be using a different work table, but I can adjust the hood mounting to compensate if I know that distance. Also, now that you've used your new system, do you consider the space between your hood and kettles perfect, or would you change it at all? Thanks very much for the continuing support Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ELA - the height distance doesn't really matter much. I put the hood high enough such that I wouldn't hit my head if leaning over to look in the kettles.

I was afraid that putting it too high wouldn't evacuate steam properly so it put it as low as possible without bumping my head. As to what the "perfect" poition is, I don't know. I didn't try multiple places so I don't know if different heights would work better. There's a lot of variables such as fan size, fan duct length and turns, etc. All these can affect air flow. I'm happy with where it is however.

Kal

ELA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! For all my thinking about finding exactly the correct distance to ensure good steam evacuation, it didn't occur to me the other concern was being able to get under it to work! I'll hang it for a comfortable height and try not to sweat the details so much.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELA wrote:
LOL! For all my thinking about finding exactly the correct distance to ensure good steam evacuation, it didn't occur to me the other concern was being able to get under it to work! I'll hang it for a comfortable height and try not to sweat the details so much.

Check out this thread, page 2 there is a link to a website describing exhaust hood principles

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/exhaust-hoods-d_1036.html
biglakewill

Drinking: Barley Wine

Working on: Weissbeir

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the hood is low, like one I know all to well. Foam pipe insulation, split and taped/glued to the edge of the hood, will save the hood from damage..... and possibly your head!
exception13

Drinking: Brown Ale

Working on: American IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal,

Just wanted to add my congrats for the BYO article and now a winning basement design as documented in The Ottawa Citizen. Beauty basement! We are building a new home on the Upper Rideau near Westport. I have space set aside for my brewery and, when $$$ permit, will be going electric with your system. The brewery will probably not be as integrated and visible as your's is, but the documentation of your build has definitely given me ideas on how to add it to our walk-out basement.

Congrats again and Cheers!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 21 of 26
Jump to: