Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

OBK American Amber modifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Kit, Extract, & Partial Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murrs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: OBK American Amber modifications Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A few friends and I are teaming up to get out brew on. One of the four has a setup that can handle 5 gal all grain batches. He's also been brewing for a while, so he'll be supervising/guiding the rest of us through our first few batches.

I realize that the ElectricBrewery American Amber Ale kit is not necessarily a beginner beer to put together, but it was the direction we were headed until we found out that OBK no long had Amarillo hops (currently out of stock), and hence, could no longer sell the 5gal kit.

We made a snap decision to go with the OBK American Amber (we had to place the order to get the ingredients in by brew day), but now I'm wondering if anyone has any minor/simple/easy tweaks to modify the current OBK American amber recipe, or whether we should just leave it alone and wait for another brew day to nail down the EB American Amber.

Input is much appreciated.

Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: OBK American Amber modifications Reply with quote

Murrs wrote:
I realize that the ElectricBrewery American Amber Ale kit is not necessarily a beginner beer to put together...

Actually it is pretty straight forward since it's a straight single infusion mash and doesn't require anything special with fermentation (and the yeast I recommend is fairly forgiving to temperature swings). It's about as simple as they come.

Quote:
... until we found out that OBK no long had Amarillo hops (currently out of stock), and hence, could no longer sell the 5gal kit.

Throw in some Cascade or similar and you'll still have a great beer. I recently made this beer with 100% Cascade and it's very tasty. Sort of like Mill St. Tankhouse (An american style amber that uses all Cascade).

Quote:
We made a snap decision to go with the OBK American Amber (we had to place the order to get the ingredients in by brew day), but now I'm wondering if anyone has any minor/simple/easy tweaks to modify the current OBK American amber recipe, or whether we should just leave it alone and wait for another brew day to nail down the EB American Amber.

I'm not sure I follow. I thought they couldn't ship it because they were out of Amarillo but you were still able to order it?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Murrs

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was not able to order the ElectricBrewery version (due to out of stock Amarillo), but OBK has their own 5gal American Amber kit.

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/grainkit-american-amber-ale.html?AffId=1

Looks like they have 1oz each of Hallertauer, Cascade, and Chinook, boiled for 60 min, 5 min, and 5 min, respectively, with no dry hop.

I'm pretty much looking for any suggestions that anyone who knows what they're doing might suggest to someone green.

Cheers,

Andy
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipes are very much a personal preference so I'm not sure what suggestion you're looking for. I'm sure either recipe will make a good beer, but at the end of the day nobody can tell you which of the two you'd actually prefer.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Murrs

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I guess we'll fire it up then figure out if there's something left wanting when we tap.

Thanks.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Kit, Extract, & Partial Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: